Youtube guy putting up weird info

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, I almost forgot, Detroit Diesel: The following is taken from the GM Diesel Page:

Designed as a diesel engine from the ground up by the Detroit Diesel Division of General Motors, the original 6.2L diesel engine was introduced in the 1982 model year GMC and Chevy C/K pickup truck and full-size SUV lines. Taking this engine design to the next level in the 1992 model year, the new 6.5L diesel engine was an advancement in technology, and was designed for the application of a turbocharger. The 6.2L saw its final year of production in 1993. While the 6.5 was replaced by the Duramax 6600 beginning in the 2001 model year Chevy and GMC vehicle production, the 6.5L diesel engine continues to be manufactured and sold by AM General. AM General is the manufacturer of the civilian H1 Hummer & military HMMWV. Not to worry, support for the 6.2/6.5 will continue to be a big part of The Diesel Page well into the future.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know with these motors 30 psi would not fly with stock compression, we were sort of discussing if the turbo itself was capable of 25-30 psi given a motor that can handle it with enough fuel.

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, I see. I am sure with mine (with waste gate), you could modify it to push a lot more then it is now. I just don't know if it has 30lb in it. To be honest, I am not sure how much it is pushing now. I just guest at 12-15, it may be less than that. I just know there was something I read a while back about a caution because of the high compression ratio, I want to say the article said 3lb of boots, but that's pretty low.

Marq

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah 3 psi is bull. You really need a boost gauge so you can see what's going on. Gary(icanfixall) says that they waste most of its boost after 12-13 psi. That also happens to be around what you can be fairly certain is safe for a 7.3 perhaps a bit more marginal with a 6.9. You can go a bit higher than 12-13 psi and have it make power with an intercooler. If you go too far though you're going to break something.

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yahk that sounds about right. I figured about 12 or so. I know I need an Intercooler very badly. I feel with any turbo setup, you just can't get everything out of the turbo without one. I bought mine with the turbo, and it kinda blows my mine someone spend over $2000 on a turbo, and failed to go with an intercooler. If course that's probably why he sold it to me, . . . not only that, I found out later the compressor wheel was missing all it's fins, must have droped a bolt, and figured he couldn't spend the $$ and sold it to the first fish to swim up (me). LOL

Any, what's what I thought, 3lb would drive a fish tank, little lone 444 cubes of raw diesel stump pulling big block.

Well if any one out there know of a intercooler on the cheep for a disabled vet on a fixed income, I should would be most greatfull. Thanks for the info.

Marq

1990 Ford F-250 4X4:
7.3 IDI with 120K on the clock:
ATS Turbo with waste gate:
Stage One Injectors (Oregon Injector Service):
Complete Return Fuel Kit (Oregon Injector Service):
DB2 Pump, cranked up with Cold Advance wired permanently on:
4” down pipe, 4” straight through exhaust stopping between cab and bed (no fuff on my stuff):
Torque Converter Lock Up Switch (On/Off/Lock-Up):
E4OD Line Pressure Controller (adjusted to fast/firm shifts):
4” lift w/Rancho shocks:
Big Fat Tires on custom rims:

Tows 1985 fully loaded heavy 28 foot RV (my house) everywhere:

7.3 idi bandit

Reaction score
just thought id drop a line I recently after fixing an exhaust leak on my idi I saw 17 psi with no hood and no air filter box or intake piping also a good friend of mine recently installed a turbo off of a 04 common rail cummins on to his 92 idi he has seen 21 psi. My truck has 215 k his has 260 k.. I recently overheated my engine to the point of cracking both heads did a top end rebuild from the heads up and welded my wastegate shut and overtorqued the head bolts about 15 lbs over istalled G code injectors and turned the pump up 6 flats ..............................................................................................................
If you look up in the sky there is a hole in the ozone with my name on it

7.3 idi Bandit
93' F 350 7.3 idi turbo ( turbo from a 94 idit) ZF 5 4.10 4x4
Turbo diesel Injectors G-Code
4" pipe to 5" dual turn out stacks

FordGuy100

Reaction score
just thought id drop a line I recently after fixing an exhaust leak on my idi I saw 17 psi with no hood and no air filter box or intake piping also a good friend of mine recently installed a turbo off of a 04 common rail cummins on to his 92 idi he has seen 21 psi. My truck has 215 k his has 260 k.. I recently overheated my engine to the point of cracking both heads did a top end rebuild from the heads up and welded my wastegate shut and overtorqued the head bolts about 15 lbs over istalled G code injectors and turned the pump up 6 flats ..............................................................................................................
If you look up in the sky there is a hole in the ozone with my name on it

7.3 idi Bandit
93' F 350 7.3 idi turbo ( turbo from a 94 idit) ZF 5 4.10 4x4
Turbo diesel Injectors G-Code
4" pipe to 5" dual turn out stacks

Yup, those boost #'s have been done before....but your still not at 30psi. That common rail turbo would hold up to that though. I hope your turbo lives life now with an intake and air filter on it LOL.

You will, garunteed start blowing headgaskets with stock compression ratio. It may not be today, maybe not tommorow...but heed my words it will happen, I would give you blowing out the headgaskets withing 20K miles, and him within 10K miles if he sees those pressures regularly. Not trying to be an a@@ just trying to warn you.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
About the youtube guy, remember, if you argue with an idiot, they will drag you down their level and beat you with experience.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Last year when I was at ARP talking to their engineers about studs for our 7.3 motors I was told something interesting. A customer called and wanted a stud kit for his psd intake manifold. Seems he was breaking the bolts and the studs that he could find. They asked him what find of boost was he pushing thru his turbo. Thats when the guy told him the motor had twin turbos and was boosting 250 lbs......:eek: ARP declined to sell him anything... Mostly because they didn't have anything that would help him... And we get excited at 15 to 18 lbs of boost.....:dunno Just look at top fuel motors. How long do they last before being opened up for repairs... About 1/4 mile and 4.5 seconds of run time.....

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
About the youtube guy, remember, if you argue with an idiot, they will drag you down their level and beat you with experience.

Ya that sounds alot like what I say at work at the pub....

Never argue with a fool....no one will know the difference...

Never reason with a drunk.....everyone will think yer a fool......:rotflmao :rotflmao

Drunks, fools, idiots are all cut from the same cloth IMHO LOL

7.3 idi bandit

Reaction score
i dont have any pics but the turbo is mounted right after the exhaust y near the manifold under the pass. side floor pan with a custom intake snail and, piping of course , his has a straight 4" out the back of the truck and the only noise the exhaust makes is a real quiet rumble ...........and my turbo does still live I saw 16 psi today w/ a 24' gooseneck and 212 bales of straw loaded on it

FordGuy100

Reaction score
i dont have any pics but the turbo is mounted right after the exhaust y near the manifold under the pass. side floor pan with a custom intake snail and, piping of course , his has a straight 4" out the back of the truck and the only noise the exhaust makes is a real quiet rumble ...........and my turbo does still live I saw 16 psi today w/ a 24' gooseneck and 212 bales of straw loaded on it

Are you running some sort of intake with air filter though? Cause if your not, eventually all that dirt is going to wreck havac on the impeller, kinda like sandblasting except that impeller is spinning 100K rpm's

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin