Your opinions please.

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
I am going to regear my truck but I ran into a snag. I thought I had a D60 and I actually have a D61. I have a posi and 3.73 for a 60 in my garage. I also have a D60 in my driveway out of a 75 F250. Here's the situation:

The guy I bought the carrier and gears from has a posi and 4.10 for a Dana 61. It's a straight swap, but I'll have to pay shipping to send back the 3.73 and to receive the 4.10. I don't know if I want 4.10 or not.

The 60 out of the 75 will need to have the spring perches and shock mounts re located to use on my truck. But, the guy who is going to regear my rearend will put them back on for the same price as it will cost to pay shipping 2 ways for the 61. Plus, it needs new wheel bearings, seals, and I'm pretty sure the brakes will need going through.

So the bottom line is this: The 60 will cost more (bearings, seals, brakes) but I'll have 3.73.

The 61 will cost less but I'll have 4.10.

Which way would you go?

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well cost aside, I would choose the 60 because parts are far more easily obtained anywhere should you run into an issue of failure of some sorts.

Also upgrading a 60 with aftermarket parts is easier for the same reason.

Once you have that 60 rebuilt, which you can convert to Disk as well. it would be easy to change carriers and gear sets later on as needed.

JMO but it's what I would do.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the bottom line is this: The 60 will cost more (bearings, seals, brakes) but I'll have 3.73.

And a freshly rebuilt axle that should serve ou well for many miles.

Cost of peace of mind, having what you really want and better parts availability...Priceless.

A skilled welder can change the spring perches in an hour or 2, not that hard.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
I'd choose the D60 as well. Parts availability is a big plus. Unless you do a lot of heavy work with the truck, I think I would prefer the 3.73's also.

Tom

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Barney, being that your 2wd, this is a no brainer. Why not look for a complete 10.25 or Dana 70 with the gears you want, and swap or buy? I'd get something heavier, and more commonplace under there.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree go with the 10.25, they dont spin the ring gear side bearing out like d 60 do, and I like d 60. 61 is an oddball and VERY hard to source parts for.
my2c

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online