You need an Alternator to SHIFT??

Rolling_slow

Reaction score
Today I started the truck to let it warm up, its been close to 20 degrees here in Michigan the last few days. I was going to run to Menards, I fell asleep on the couch (I work thirds all I do is sleep I feel like) woke up about oh 2 hours later and the truck was running in the driveway no big deal but, the alternator must of gave out? I didnt have any interior lights which was the first clue. Batteries completely dead. So, pretty sure the old spinner just took a ****. Not a big deal.

I went to move the truck (parked in the way of the garage). To get the truck turned around and in the right spot I figured I would go to the end of road and turn it around since it was still running. That is when I noticed the transmission acting all kinds of weird. I know these are computer controlled I believe. Its a 93 with an auto/overdrive not sure I think its E40D? or somthing like that. So would the dead batteries make the truck get stuck into a higher gear or anything like that? Not sure what else would of happened. Long winded post sorry fellas but, I am at work at my desk and its Friday so I want to work very little haha...I am kidding....of course....

Thanks for the info in advance.

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
Yes e40d. Computer controlled. I would think it would go full retard with bad voltage, i would leave it sit till you figure out the problem.
Its odd that the batteries are clear dead after two hours. With no alternator a guy could pry run it for a week. A few days at least. Unless the alternator went on to discharge the batteries which isnt impossible I suppose

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes e40d. Computer controlled. I would think it would go full retard with bad voltage, i would leave it sit till you figure out the problem.
Its odd that the batteries are clear dead after two hours. With no alternator a guy could pry run it for a week. A few days at least. Unless the alternator went on to discharge the batteries which isnt impossible I suppose

Run the truck for an extended period of time with a bad alternator, Yes, because it takes very little voltage/current to keep the FSS OPEN in the IP. I've heard (not tried myself) but heard once it is open, you could keep it open with a 9 volt battery.

Drive the truck with an electronically controlled transmission..... not as long. They require a certain voltage range to work properly, or they will shut down, or as you put it so well, go full retard...... maybe even past full retard to potato.

I know from experience, in my 6.0 (I know apples to oranges, but bear with me) the engine would still run on ~ 9 volts (alternator went bad) but the entire instrument cluster would shut down, everything, no lights, gauges, nothing. Now, running on 9 volts is not good for the FICM, but it got me home the few blocks I needed.

So, it doesn't surprise me at all the truck was still running, but the batteries were low enough for the transmission to go to potato makes since. I'm sure if he was warming up the truck to go somewhere, he had the blower/HVAC on, which would pull the battery down fairly quickly. I know the other day, when the A/C pulley seized on my son's truck and the belt broke, we didn't have any other issues besides no coolant flow. The transmission shifted fine, but from the time the belt broke until it was shut off and fixed was no more than 2 minutes.... so the battery still was at a full charge.

Rolling_slow

Reaction score
Now that I think about it. The alternator coulda been out for few days. Lately i havent done a ton of driving just to the office (3 miles) and a couple trips to Kalamzoo about 40 miles one way. Batteries are old might explain the quick drain. Thanks for the answers about my retarded transmission. I figured it was that but you never know.

Rolling_slow

Reaction score
Replaced the alternator and the truck is back to normal. Attached is a picture of the donor at the local salvage yard. Btw this thing had a crazy rear bumper on it. I wish I would of snapped a pic.

You must be registered for see images attach

Bytesmiths

Reaction score
That's why I won't own a vehicle with a computer in it.

My '91 Dodge Cummins will keep running even while you PULL the battery. (Of course, that's with a working alternator... :)

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
That's why I won't own a vehicle with a computer in it.

My '91 Dodge Cummins will keep running even while you PULL the battery. (Of course, that's with a working alternator... :)
That's not saying anything. So will my powerstroke.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk