you got your exhaust gasses in my coolant!

Maverick1701

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well bad news guys.
about 2 weeks ago I noticed I had bulged radiator hoses. I was optimistic and thought maybe oil cooler (cheapest of the problems).
I dont drive the truck much anyway (only to 200mi round trip every other weekend) so I decided to order an exhaust gas tester just in case ($25 off eGay).

Well I was flushing the coolant (just for kicks) and the UPS man arrived. I had just thrown in a new batch of water with a little CLR mixed in to clean out the coolant system (also I doubt the PO had a clue as to what SCAs are) and decided go ahead and check my truck.
Well it gave a positive indication for exhaust gasses *facepalm*
I made a quick video for kicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4_1Mv2dyAk

What should my next move be?
Im thinking either have the local mechanic compression test each cylinder (or if its easy enough, do it myself). Then once I know which side is leaking go from there and pull the head.

Is there another way (besides compression testing) to check the cylinders? I vaguely recall reading about using compressed air through the glow plug opening or something like that...Ill keep researching in the mean time

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Before completely freaking, run the test again, and make sure to disconnect the CDR and divert it away from the intake and block any points of entry. I have run across cases where it was combustion gas making it into the coolant via an errant intake gasket ( byt with a colour change that drastic, I don't want to get your hopes up too high )

Assuming failure still, you need to rig an air fitting to put air to the cylinders through the GP holes, you should be able to easily modify a compression tester adapter and do a leakdown test applying compressed air one hole at a time and then checking to see where it comes out, if you get bubbles at a hole you know its that cyl ( dont stop there, next hole may be bad too) if two adjoing head gasket if just one you wont know until you get it apart and inspect

Black dawg

Reaction score
What brand tester kit is that? I have never been able to get the napa kit that looks just like that to work on a diesel. I tried on stuff that there was NO question and still never got color change.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
If it were me I'd just pull both the heads and see what I see.

Oh, that's right, it was me and my 93.LOL

The way I figure it you're into for a valley pan and a head gasket and it seems crazy to me to do one side so it just depends on how much time and money you want to spend and what else you need to do.

My 87 is really nice in that when I had the engine out I was able to do all the things you can't with it in.

Seems like a good time for you to rebuild the oil cooler, put in a 12 1/4 inch clutch, rebuilt the turbo, injectors. Do the whole thing up and you'll have 200k to go.;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin