Yes another intake question

ammocan

Reaction score
Ok so I know this subject has been beat to death and yes I have read the tech thread on this subject and on other sites but I have some looming questions that I can not get answered. Currently I have removed the stock intake tube that connects the 4" intake and ran the 4" hose straight to the drivers side to the open space above the wheel well.
I have seen several pictures of 4" plumbing with a cone filter on the end which is refered to as a cold air intake but if its still under the hood it seems like it will still be drawing in hot air and the cone seams to be more restrictive than the large stock filter. am I missing something on this type a filter? Some bennefit I am missing? Also if it all about max air flow and its going to be drawing air from under the hood anyway wouldnt an old school Edelbrock intake off a gasser work even better?
The other style I have seen is the ram air. most commonly is the ram air in the front grill which I could see as a very nice set up especially since your air pressure increases as your speeds increase. the issue with my truck is I have a radiator that completly fills the width of my grill leaving no room for a 4" hose. The other option is a ram air from the hood but im not super interested in cutting a hole in my hood. Lastly on the topic of ram air I have heard the idea of running the intake right into the back of the fan shroud however it does not seem to be much of a "ram air" when it has to go through 2 radiators and its seems like it would be hot air after cooling the radiator so this option doesnt seem to be "cold air" or "ram air" I also saw the pictures of the intake that sit under the hood but on top of the grill and while the craftmaship is impeccable :hail it doesnt seem to be any less restrictive than the stock intake when the hood is down but to be fair I did not see if there was any mods to the hood.

I have also read several people recommending an intake from the wheel well which does seem like a very good option since it will be "cold air" and as the speeds incread so does the pressure in the wheel wells but I cannot get past the fact that this seems like a catostrophy waiting to happen since in utah we get on occasion a heavy rain and it would just be sucking in water. I guess with some engineering this could be overcome and this also happens to be a very convienient place since ther is soooo much space not being used over the wheel wells. this seems like the best option but I need a better idea of how to do it. this also applies to the cowl intake however im not going to cut through my firewall to access it.

I have seen the the modded intake where another 4" hose has been added to the opposite side to increase air flow but the question still is where do you draw the air from and if its from under the hood then I ask again, why not just put a large round edebrock intake on like the gassers. it may be drawing the warm air but its not restricted to drawing it from a 4" tube. this is what I had on my 79' 460 and it was awesome. If Im not mistaken a 460 gasser will be drawing more air since its more cubic inches and higher RPM's.

any way the bottom line is im not the expert but I do think a lot about this stuff and I feel like I have done a fair amount of research. I am petitioning the experts here for answers to these questions. Im also wondering if my expectations are too high looking for the holy grail of intakes. Anyway I would appreciate answers to these questions and a lot of input. I will be using this to come up with a more permanant and hopefully better intake for my truck but please keep in mind I am not interested in a turbo.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Instead of the smaller cone filters, use the big Donaldson filter.
I don't have the # on hand, but the cheaper version is a 6637.
Once you're moving, it'll get tons of cooler air.
Or you could do a cowl intake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the donaldson type filter from napa I believe he's talking about.. although its on my PSD, it still gives you the idea..

You must be registered for see images attach

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
^ Yes, exactly.
Mine is a psd also, but others have used them on the Idi's.
May warwagon? Has his like that, but on the passenger side.
Ammocan, do you have a turbo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ammocan

Reaction score
no I do not have a turbo and Im not too interested in one. just trying to get the best out of what ive got

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To answer your initial question, none of the above ^^^^ is a "cold air intake". That's just a buzzphrase from the commuter car tuner crowd. For those cars, you have two general choices of aftermarket intake:
* "Short ram", which is a cone or cylinder filter attached to smooth intake tube (usu. aluminum) into the throttle body. Better air flow than stock, but intake air temp is aprx. the same as stock. The aftermarket intakes for the IDI-T and PSD are of this basic type.
* "Cold air", which is a similar filter, but placed low and forward, typically using an opening in the bumper, and a similar but longer intake tube. This provides both better air flow and colder, therefore more oxygen-dense, intake air. And indeed, high water is a risk factor with these types.

Even the rice-boy econobox tuner crowd often mistakenly refer to short ram intakes as "cold air". TBH, I don't know if cooler denser intake air would make any difference with an NA diesel engine. With a turbo diesel, you're better off cooling the intake air with an intercooler.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about the factory 80-86 snorkel that runs down to the drivers side of the radiator and gets its air from the grill? Sounds like what your looking for.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why not mod it so you draw cold air from the COWEL this is done frequently and there was a kit at one time made for it the high pressure air at the base of the windheild.

Everything is a trade off regardless of how you do it.

Fenderwell...cold air but water...Hmm...keep the hose pointed down and water runs out air goes up..??

Two hoses to stock air filter housing...why not, twice the volume of air capability.

Don't forget there is a soup bowl mod...google or use search here for more info..

you are correct a filter IN the engine compartment unless isolated from the engine compartment is still drawing in warm air.

Good luck with your decision

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems there isn't really definitive info that the soup bowl mod is worth it's time. Can anyone refute that

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

ammocan

Reaction score
Seems there isn't really definitive info that the soup bowl mod is worth it's time. Can anyone refute that

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
Its hard to say its not worth the time because it only took me 5 minutes and I just did it when I put a new filter.

riotwarrior on the cowel intake. Im a little leery on cutting into my firewall but this does seem like a good option for cold air and increased flow. Can you or anyone point me in the right direction for an instructional or a good example to model after?

ammocan

Reaction score
What about the factory 80-86 snorkel that runs down to the drivers side of the radiator and gets its air from the grill? Sounds like what your looking for.
this is the snorkel I removed because it has some hard turns and at one point its choked to about half the flow of the 4" intake line. Also as I mention in my original post I have the wide radiator so there is no room in the grill to squeeze an intake in there. The original location is between the radiator mount and frame and without the horrible stock snorkel its crazy hard to access since I have an aftermarket R-134 AC pump and lines right there.

Last edited:

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I was looking into the cowel intake, folks seemed to also have water concerns there as well.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has the wide rad and had all that on it.

Hypermax still carries the cowl intake mod. Comes with a little piece that is formed for a fire wall. I believe it's gohypermax.com

ammocan

Reaction score
Ok so with the water concern and the extra cab noise the cowel intake is out for me. Has anyone ever considered a simple large round edelbrock intake for a carbureted engine on an idi?
You must be registered for see images attach

It seems to be a great option just for massive quantities of air flow but no one has ever mentioned using one and I have never seen one used on an IDI. is there some reason for this? It seems like it would work every bit as well as the previously mentioned donaldson filter but it wont have to suck the air through a 4" line.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk