wvo in idi

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
The girlfriend is hooking me up with the waste oil at Taco Hell. I want to run it in my truck, So how do I go about doing this. How do I filter it out? Can I mix it with my diesel or must it be ran straight?

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
Yes it can be ran, but it needs to be filtered properly, down to about a couple of microns.

You CAN NOT mix it with diesel, it wont stay mixed, it needs to be be in a separtate tank and heated to flow like #2 diesel.

You also need to replace all natural rubber o rings and gaskets that the wvo will come in contact with because it likes to eat up rubber. Replace them with vitron orings, they sell kits on ebay. Also, dont forget, the mechanical fuel pumps have rubber in them, so an electric fuel pump that is resistant to wvo will be needed.

hope this helps some.

big rig

Reaction score
HELLO 94DIESEL

Hi, I just bought my truck, its a 92' ford f-350 crew cab 7.3 non turbo. I will like to run it on vegetable oil. Do you know what kind of filters I need to buy to filter the oil and do I need to change my pump and orings of my injectors?
Thanks,
BIGRIG

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
You CAN NOT mix it with diesel, it wont stay mixed, it needs to be be in a separate tank and heated to flow like #2 diesel.

hope this helps some.

While I do agree WVO is best heated in an IDI..... I'll have to say I have mixed #2 and veggie and let it set for days and weeks to watch it, I have never seen separation.....:dunno

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it can be ran, but it needs to be filtered properly, down to about a couple of microns.

You CAN NOT mix it with diesel, it wont stay mixed, it needs to be be in a separtate tank and heated to flow like #2 diesel.

You also need to replace all natural rubber o rings and gaskets that the wvo will come in contact with because it likes to eat up rubber. Replace them with vitron orings, they sell kits on ebay. Also, dont forget, the mechanical fuel pumps have rubber in them, so an electric fuel pump that is resistant to wvo will be needed.

hope this helps some.

I frequent forums about using WVo and am approaching 50k miles running it myself and this is the only forum where i have seen anyone say that WVO eats rubber? Biodiesel definitly does, but straight Vegetable should not. Also many people run single tank systems by mixing wvo and diesel in various proportions and have done some for in excess on 100k miles with no ill effects.

you do need to filter any waste oil you run in your diesel. here is a linkt ot the filters and housings i prefer
http://www.micronfiltercartridges.com/wholeHouse.html
i filter down to 5 microns at a minimum but if you aren't going to specifically heat the fuel i would go to one micron. If you do this long enough you will find that heating the oil for filtering and use is really convenient and makes everything work better. Here is a link to a forum member sell a simple way to heat your fuel http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39162
I would still do at least 20% diesel if that is your only heating method. There are lots of other ways to heat the oil in the truck from magnetic block heaters on the tank to running a fuel line inside a engine coolant line from the tank all the way to the filter.Heating the filter can be done using engine coolant (http://www.greasecar.com/product_detail.cfm?prodID=78 )or electric heating tape.

cur.bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wvo can be mixed with diesel all day long and will not separate. You do not have to change hoses with wvo. You do have to change hoses with bio. You only have to heat wvo when you want to run it unblended. I have been blending for 7 years and in So Fl blending is the norm. When winter comes I just stop blending and go straight diesel. My 3 mercedes have a total of about85,000 miles on blended wvo. I have not started to burn wvo in my F350 as I do not have 4,000 miles on the rebuild.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As said before, WVO will not eat your rubber. Hot WVO might cause an already deteriorated rubber piece to let loose all at once, so if you have old hoses or orings it might be best to replace them as preventative maintenance.

I would not convert to WVO just because you have a Taco Bell willing to give you oil. You will probably find that their oil is very dirty, and a pain to filter. It'll probably be easier to find a better, cleaner source and filter that.

There's lots of info out there. I recommend www.frybrid.com (I hope its not against the rules to point people to other sites?) for some good information. I am running WVO but am concerned that it may have caused my ip and possibly injectors to fail, and am looking into that. I will save money in the long run even if I do blow an IP and injectors even twice as often, but its not fun buying and installing these parts.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Im just wanting to try it out and see how it goes. Does it have to be heated it running 20% WVO and 80% diesel? Also will canola oil be acceptable?

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
personally i would still run a fuel heater like the one in the link i posted above. heating the fuel will only help and it is very easy. O.K. having said all that yes i think you could run 20wvo/80diesel with no issues. canola or mixed vegetable oil is fine. peanut oil is fin but thicker than standard vegetable oil.

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
Ah, ok then. You see, i thought that what applied to using bio-diesel also applied to wvo. Its been a while since ive been on the forum, so forgive me you guys. :angel:

cur.bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before you put a heater on your system if you run 75diesel 25 wvo you will be heating your diesel and will wind up with a frothing condition. If you go 25 diesel 75 wvo you mite get away with it. In So Fl I run 20diesel /80wvo filtered to 1 micron with no heat on my mercedes's. On my f350 7.3 IDI I do have 2 tanks and intend to run straight wvo once I break in the engine. On that setup I will not be blending. If I was going to blend on the 7.3 I would go 50/50 as a starting point.