WVO for luberication only

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kevin 007
What kind of overnight & morning temps have you had in the last few days?
Also in your testing for lubrication, do you notice a sound difference in the engine? Just so if I try some wvo through the CF and then run it so I can tell if it's working?
Keep us posted this kind of stuff is cool.:thumbsup::hail

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
It was about 45 degrees. Not cold at all so I don't think it would be gelling, especially at such a small dose. But Im new to this so I really don't know.

Didn't do it today.

As for testing the lubricity, I don't have a proven method, I just trust the fellas on this forum telling me that it has great lubricity. I have noticed no difference in sound at all. I sure hope the lube is up as its the main reason for me messing with bio.

My main concern is the rubber/plastic parts of the fuel line. I will be keeping a close eye on them....hoping that such a low dose of bio doesn't effect them

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
What are the factory fuel lines made of, the lines running from the tanks to the lift pump?

I noticed mine are a hard plastic kind of material. Has anyone had any issues regarding these plastic lines breaking down over time?

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
One thing I did notice when I was running the highest mixture of bio (about 20%, by accident) is that when I started my truck after it sat for a while like overnight; I could pick up the veg smell out the tail pipe when warming up. But after driving for a while it goes back to smelling like diesel.

Im thinking that the bio is sinking to the bottom of the tank at night and when I start driving it gets mixed around again like it should be. Is this whats goin on? Is bio heavier than diesel?

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I was talking to a guy at the local diesel injection shop who rebuild Stanadyne pumps often and I mentioned to him that I waas burning a 10% bio blend. and playing dub, I asked him if bio diesel added any lubricity at all and he said NO....without even hesitating.
He must just be trying to pedal me the various conditioners that he sells.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Lube me baby!

Ha! LOL That's funny considering Stanadyne recommends using 2% bio-diesel with ULSD.

http://www.biodiesel.org/pdf_files/fuelfactsheets/Lubricity.PDF

Good News:
In August 2010, the Government of Canada, enacted regulations that require petroleum fuel producers and importers to have:

- an average renewable fuel content of at least 5% based on the volume of gasoline, commencing 2010: and

- an average 2% renewable fuel content in diesel fuel and heating oil, upon successful demonstration of renewable diesel fuels used under the range of Canadian conditions no later than 2012. ;Sweet

The commencement of the 2% renewable diesel requirement went into effect July 1, 2011, with an 18-month initial compliance period ending December 31, 2012. The 2% blending volumes are averaged over the compliance period.

These minimum volume requirements bring the Canadian biodiesel blending mandates more closely in line with the U.S. market and its expanded RFS2 regulation, and provide more clarity for Canadian diesel refineries and importers.

I got that from the BIOX Corp. 2011 Third Quarter Report.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Yeah I think he is full of itcookoo

BBjordan that is great news for us oilburners seeking lubricity huh!!! And I suppose its good for them tree huggers to Ha ha

But I have noticed on the pumps that there usually is a little sticker tucked away somewhere that it doesn't stant out, and it says "may contain up to 10% ethanol" or bio diesel or whatever. What is with the "may contain"??? How do we know if it does or not? I would not be surprised if they are just trying to pedal another scam. And we all know its a good move so one would think that the oil companies would market it more but that sticker is still in a spot where you really have to look to find it and get out the magnifiying glass to read it. Seems strange to me....

At the saw mill I work at, we were told that we are now burning a 2% bio blend (from PetroCanada). One day when the tanker was there to fill up our tanks, I asked the driver if it does in fact contain bio and he kinda chuckled and said "apparently". Not too convincing.

88IDImattman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was told to add a quart of 2 stroke oil to my tanks an to do it again on like every 3rd fill up ....i like the veggie / bio / and WVO thing but dont have any where close by that sells bio that i know of ( im on the NC coast ) i did the 2 stroke thing 2 tanks ago an the truck seems pretty happy ......so i ask would there be any ill effects to my adding the 2 stroker

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Kevin_007, you are wise to be sceptical of what you get from the pump. According to Wikipedia, "The average chemical formula for common diesel fuel is C12H23, ranging approximately from C10H20 to C15H28." That's a pretty big range, and that is "average".

Also, you may have noticed above: "The 2% blending volumes are averaged over the compliance period." That means the refiners may wait until later and then put in more than 2% as long as it averages out over the compliance period.

And I happen to like trees. Burning bio-diesel, its kinda like having my cake and eating it too. :)

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
88IDImattman, on page 1, Matrix37495 posted a good pdf on diesel fuel additive testing. Its worth checking out. Two stroke oil was in there.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I like trees to, didn't mean that offensively; but I meant it might aid in the clean/renewable energy push. Its a start at least.

Two-stroke oil is what I use if I run out of Bio to mix into my pump fuel. No ill effects caused by it, but you should use it more often then every 3rd tank, do at least every second tank. ULSD and no sulfur diesel is so dry it makes me sick:puke: A 100:1 ratio of cheap two-stoke oil or even leaner will make a difference, its got to.

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
Why not try adding a QT of filtered WMO or WATF to your fill up? It will take care of the added lubrication.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
i was told to add a quart of 2 stroke oil to my tanks an to do it again on like every 3rd fill up ....i like the veggie / bio / and WVO thing but dont have any where close by that sells bio that i know of ( im on the NC coast ) i did the 2 stroke thing 2 tanks ago an the truck seems pretty happy ......so i ask would there be any ill effects to my adding the 2 stroker
you've got a bio co-op near by.....Ted's

and not sure if they are still there.... Cape Fear Biofuels

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Is it true that lubrication its at its hieght once a 2% blend is achieved? I was reading somewhere that if one is running bio for lubricity; there is no need to run a greater mixture than 2% as lubricity values won't increase much further...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker