WVO for luberication only

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I am constantly looking for ways to improve lubricity in the rigs that I run which have the stanadyne DB-2 injection pump. Ford idi's and the occasional 6.2l I have never seen a pump fail so frequently due to ULSD as the DB-2.
Anyways, I have used nearly every type of fuel conditioner on the market and there is no question that some dor quite well but I want to know if about a gallon of CLEAN WVO was added to a tankful would boost lubricity. Im not doing it to save money or the envoriment or anything, just want a quality product

I have acsess to great WVO that the fella filters down to 2 microns in a nice clean shop and he sells it. I don't want to run straigt veg oil beacuse I don't want to deal with the chewing away at rubber fuel lines, gelling and all the rest. So would it be worth while to add a gallon or so per tank for lubrictiy?

This would be a small enough veg to diesel ratio so I would not even wo

Last edited:

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Well my understanding is that bio-diesel is diesel fuel mixed with veg....the two mixed together will result in ''bio-diesel" ......unless of course I am mistaken; which happens often:sly

So what im getting at is my fuel would be about 90-95% diesel and 5-10% veg......

Im just wondering if that would be enough veg to make a fair lubrication boost. I will not be converting to straight veg, don't want the hassle due to the lack of time and room. So if a small dose of veg in each tank will not be adequate in regards to lubrication, I will just keep running straight pump diesel with Howes or 2 stroke for lube.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Well my understanding is that bio-diesel is diesel fuel mixed with veg....the two mixed together will result in ''bio-diesel" ......unless of course I am mistaken; which happens often:sly

So what im getting at is my fuel would be about 90-95% diesel and 5-10% veg......

Im just wondering if that would be enough veg to make a fair lubrication boost. I will not be converting to straight veg, don't want the hassle due to the lack of time and room. So if a small dose of veg in each tank will not be adequate in regards to lubrication, I will just keep running straight pump diesel with Howes or 2 stroke for lube.
no that is just mixed, to make bio you got to convert the veg with methxoide....

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of times when you see a B5, B10, tag its 10% biodiesel, with 90% regular diesel fuel, but don't run it when it gets cold. Even the 5% mixture is bad in cold weather(if the temp averages 40 degrees I wouldn't run it)
During warm weather I think its great from what I've heard.
Around here the biodiesel is made from soybeans. Theres a plant by Worthington MN, that takes in soybeans and makes soyoil and soybean meal for animal feed. The soyoil then is processed into biodiesel thru the chemical process.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Most of times when you see a B5, B10, tag its 10% biodiesel, with 90% regular diesel fuel, but don't run it when it gets cold. Even the 5% mixture is bad in cold weather(if the temp averages 40 degrees I wouldn't run it)
During warm weather I think its great from what I've heard.
Around here the biodiesel is made from soybeans. Theres a plant by Worthington MN, that takes in soybeans and makes soyoil and soybean meal for animal feed. The soyoil then is processed into biodiesel thru the chemical process.
Ati-gel works wonders.....

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Ah...my mistake in the original post; I guess I should have said bio instead of WVO.
The product that I will be using and stuff I have made "was" WVO at one point and then brewed, separated from the glycerin, washed and whatnot and the "bio-diesel" that results is then burned as fuel.

So again, my mistake; so to re-phrase my question:
-Will a small portion of bio-diesel (a gallon or so) mixed in with a tank of pump diesel, be considered to be a good lubricator? Or will I have to up my dosage to make a noticeable difference in lube?

I just don't want to go too rich with the bio-diesel blend because I don't want any of its effects on rubber parts and the solvent effect is seems to have.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your right h2odrx, that stuff does work really good, but thinking I might have to change filter in really cold weather is less & less fun.

I did a little experiment a couple years ago during the winter with small clear glass jars. Took off the shelf veg oil and mixed with no.1 or kerro cant remember. The 2 jars that had the highest percentage of "thin" fuel even froze solid, 75 & 90 percent. I think the overnight temp was 5 or 10 degrees. Thats kinda one reason I using wmo instead of wvo, little better in cold weather.
Now to be fair & balanced I did hear a report today that production of biodiesel yields more energy(they werent specific) than goes in.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Ah...my mistake in the original post; I guess I should have said bio instead of WVO.
The product that I will be using and stuff I have made "was" WVO at one point and then brewed, separated from the glycerin, washed and whatnot and the "bio-diesel" that results is then burned as fuel.

So again, my mistake; so to re-phrase my question:
-Will a small portion of bio-diesel (a gallon or so) mixed in with a tank of pump diesel, be considered to be a good lubricator? Or will I have to up my dosage to make a noticeable difference in lube?

I just don't want to go too rich with the bio-diesel blend because I don't want any of its effects on rubber parts and the solvent effect is seems to have.
Seeing you put it like that yes 1 gallon of bio to 99 of diesel will up lube by 65%.....:thumbsup:

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Ok, good to hear.
That's what I will do then. About a gallon or so per tank. Can't match a 65% increase in lubricity with any additive im sure!!

Is there a fomula or something you use to come up with the 65% number?

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Ok, good to hear.
That's what I will do then. About a gallon or so per tank. Can't match a 65% increase in lubricity with any additive im sure!!

Is there a fomula or something you use to come up with the 65% number?
It was on some testing site some where, or maybe a book I read.......:dunno

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
I have run a 50/50 mix of diesel & bio-diesel made from canola (rapeseed) down to -17C (1.4 F). 100% bio will cloud at about the freezing point of water according to the jar I keep outside the garage.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Well I have burnt a gallon of clean veg per tank for 3 tanks now and have had no ill effects. Can't really notice a difference in the way it runs but im sure lubrication is up so im happy.
Just thought I would let you know.;Sweet

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Had a little sputtering this morning as I started my idi on 10% biodiesel...just as it would with an air leak.

It has not done this since the new IP, lift pump and return lines 4 months ago....worth noting