Wrecked my truck today :(

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trailer covered while attached to tow vehicle. That's why I never detach the trailer (5er) even when camping, unless I really have to. Ohio Progressive Ins.

ClemsonIDI

Reaction score
Update: I've been on the phone all day. I contacted several different attorneys. They all came to the conlusion i am liable for the trailer since im the one at fault. It didn't help that I got a citation for "too fast for conditions". One very helpful guy I talked to said it wouldn't be worth me fighting it. Any big company has crossed their t's and dotted their i's on this stuff. They could get in huge trouble for denying me coverage on something I have the right to. They're not going to risk it. I believe liability insurance would have transferred over to the trailer had I hit another vehicle. At least in the state of SC you have to have a separate policy on the trailer itself to protect it and it's contents from damage. I also found out most policies only cover vehicle accessories that are from the factory. Any extra stuff you add to your truck you have to get a custom policy on. They're only giving me $250 for personal property loss. That's not even enough to buy a new tool box...won't even touch the ladder rack. I did get some good news that they are going to cover my trip to the er to get checked out. Only $1000 personal protection coverage. I'm not crazy about putting all this stuff out online, but I'm hoping yall can learn from my mistakes. You better be sure you know all the facts on your policy before you get screwed up the rear like me. I'm trying to stay positive about it all. At least I'm still kicking.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah.It will soon just be a memory about a lesson learned.Imagine if you broke a leg,lost a limb,punctured an eye or broke your neck.Imagine how you would feel if you killed a mom and a child or two? You would suffer for the rest of your life with any of these possibilities that could of happened so easy here.Since you know you loaded the trailer improperly,a lost life would of haunted you forever.
All is good here man.There is no major loss.Just an old replaceable truck and a few extra items.You can rest easy.All will be fine now.;Sweet

You rolled a truck multiple times,going 60mph down a busy interstate and not only did you nor anyone else die but everyone walked away without a scratch.You won big time here man.You got lucky and won!Remember this.Everything's going to be just fine.Might take a little work to get things back but that's nothing compared to what could of happened so,so easily.Take a deep breath and realize you already won big!

Last edited:

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always thought the trailer was covered as liability as in if it contributed to an accident or caused damage but not as a value even if you had full coverage until you had a separate commercial policy for it. Items bolted to the truck are counted but only as a dollar figure to the value of the truck and it's not a 1/1. I had $9200 in receipts in the past 6 months for my idi turbo crew cab 205k dually with a utility bed and they valued it at 4500 initially then 5500 after giving receipts. Nothing bolted to my truck, lift gate, bolted in toolboxes or anything counted as personal property which could be recouped at dollar value

ClemsonIDI

Reaction score
I always thought the trailer was covered as liability as in if it contributed to an accident or caused damage but not as a value even if you had full coverage until you had a separate commercial policy for it. Items bolted to the truck are counted but only as a dollar figure to the value of the truck and it's not a 1/1. I had $9200 in receipts in the past 6 months for my idi turbo crew cab 205k dually with a utility bed and they valued it at 4500 initially then 5500 after giving receipts. Nothing bolted to my truck, lift gate, bolted in toolboxes or anything counted as personal property which could be recouped at dollar value

It has definitely changed my view on adding aftermarket parts or accessories to a vehicle.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What did it do to the trailer? It doesn't look like the trailer rolled with it did it? Someone cheap like me would buy that trailer and weld a new tongue on it. If the truck rolled but the trailer didn't, I am guessing it ripped the hitch off the truck or twisted the hitch on the trailer?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've only ever bought basic liability insurance for my trucks (no collision or comprehensive options). Sometimes a work contract required more 3rd party liability than I usually buy but it was pretty much understood that any add-ons will not be covered. Maybe if you got it appraised or documented but I never looked into that. Bottom line is, these trucks are not worth much and insurance adjusters will see it as such.

On the flipside, you can buy a lot of truck for your money. Which I suspect is why many of us are here.

ClemsonIDI

Reaction score
Twisted the hitch, both axles are bent. Fenders are crushed. It's not worth my time messing with. It was about 3k brand new.

ClemsonIDI

Reaction score
I've only ever bought basic liability insurance for my trucks (no collision or comprehensive options). Sometimes a work contract required more 3rd party liability than I usually buy but it was pretty much understood that any add-ons will not be covered. Maybe if you got it appraised or documented but I never looked into that. Bottom line is, these trucks are not worth much and insurance adjusters will see it as such.

On the flipside, you can buy a lot of truck for your money. Which I suspect is why many of us are here.

They do look at the market in the area. Trucks like mine go for about 6 or 7k around here. That's my only hope that they'll give me a decent pay out.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah it looks like it was in nice shape too. That's something you don't see too often up here in Canada (especially 4wd). Road salt sucks.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
Your insurance SHOULD be covering the trailer if they cover the truck, hell, it should be covering the trailer even if it's NOT covering the truck.

I had that one explained to me by an insurance agent (not mine, did some work on his office though) years ago.

The way it was explained to me, anything on your hitch is considered another vehicle, in a wreck, even if you have basic liability and it's a solo vehicle accident. If you have a trailer/boat/camper hooked up to your truck, your insurance should cover damage to it the same as if you were to t-bone another vehicle.

I asked my insurance agent about it, and he told me that's the way it works with them as well.

Don't know if it's a ND thing though, either read your full policy or call your state insurance board and ask, quick google search turns up "this varies greatly from state to state" on pretty much all sites.

steelheadguy

Registered Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. I came so close to doing this last year. The lanscape company loaded gravel in the front of the trailer and sand in the back. The sand was way heavier. The swaying seemed worse when driving down hill.
I was able to recover by accelerating and very lightly counterstearing. You should of had heard the trucks rear tires squeeling side to side. Quite possibly the scariest couple seconds of my life.

Glad to hear everyone is OK

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP- sounds like from the atty's, your state is not a consumer friendly state for insurance. Anytime you put aftermarket parts or performance enhancing parts on your vehicle, it is not covered in most insurance policies. that is consistent most everywhere. that is why I suggested retaining salvage on your truck so you can recoup for the turbo kit.

ClemsonIDI

Reaction score
OP- sounds like from the atty's, your state is not a consumer friendly state for insurance. Anytime you put aftermarket parts or performance enhancing parts on your vehicle, it is not covered in most insurance policies. that is consistent most everywhere. that is why I suggested retaining salvage on your truck so you can recoup for the turbo kit.
The good news is the turbo kit was already on the truck when I bought it. My biggest expense on it was taking it to the transmission shop and getting a new clutch, flywheel, reverse, and fifth. Unfortunately that was only a few months ago. As much as I would like to keep the truck for its heart I can't afford to. I need the money they'll give me to buy a new trailer for my boss, since im legally responsible to do so. I won't be buying another diesel any time soon unless I decide to part with my f150. I'm NEVER towing a trailer that belongs to someone else again. The only way I'll be hauling is if I buy my own trailer and have my OWN insurance on it that also covers materials, and charge the company to use it. I never realized how much of a liability it was. I won't be hauling any materials on my truck anymore either. My boss just checked how much a commercial policy would be on his f350... $3500/year that only covers the truck no tools or trailer. I guarantee most people with a small business aren't paying that.

ClemsonIDI

Reaction score
Wow. I came so close to doing this last year. The lanscape company loaded gravel in the front of the trailer and sand in the back. The sand was way heavier. The swaying seemed worse when driving down hill.
I was able to recover by accelerating and very lightly counterstearing. You should of had heard the trucks rear tires squeeling side to side. Quite possibly the scariest couple seconds of my life.

Glad to hear everyone is OK
I've hauled a lot of stuff on a trailer including large equipment for the farm I use to work at. I've never experienced anything like that in my life. It got out of control so fast I didn't realize what was happening until it was too late. I don't think some people realize how serious it is (including myself before Monday). If you are EVER not happy with the way someone loads your trailer don't be afraid to tell them to redo it. Even if it makes you seem like a jerk. Ultimately it's your life and money on the line.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online