wreaked my truck today!!

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well ever since I bought the truck I've had trouble with the brakes locking up and this morning they locked up and costed me my truck. :mad: I hit a drain pipe and mess the front end up bad!!! Well I located a truck for sale with a bad engine cheap and need to know what to do. The truck is a 89 F-super duty with a 7.3 and a five in the floor! ;Sweet But the big c got the 7.3. What would I have to do graft my engine (6.9) into a 89 where a 7.3 onced lived? More info on the truck, is that in the mornings the rear brakes locked up but the rest of the day they're fine. I think I remembered someone else having problems with there brakes the same way. Tim

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
:frustrate That stinks! Sure it's not fixable? As for dropping a 6.9 in the 7.3s place, should be like an r&r. Save for maybe the flywheel. Might have to figure something out about that.
James

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Sorry for you loss, now is it really not fixable? If not hope you can get that engine on place and rolling soon.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
whitehorse said:
Well ever since I bought the truck I've had trouble with the brakes locking up and this morning they locked up and costed me my truck. :mad: I hit a drain pipe and mess the front end up bad!!! Well I located a truck for sale with a bad engine cheap and need to know what to do. The truck is a 89 F-super duty with a 7.3 and a five in the floor! ;Sweet But the big c got the 7.3. What would I have to do graft my engine (6.9) into a 89 where a 7.3 onced lived? More info on the truck, is that in the mornings the rear brakes locked up but the rest of the day they're fine. I think I remembered someone else having problems with there brakes the same way. Tim

NOOOOOOO,Not ol rusty!Are you sure you can't fix the thing or did it bend the frame?The 6.9 and the 7.3 are the same engine.Basically the 7.3 is a 6.9L that has been bored 110 thousands oversize(oh,and per haynes,the stroke is .07 shorter in the 7.3 but who is counting).Just swap out the 7.3L flywheel to the 6.9 and bolt everything up.Externally they would be the same.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good news and bad news(about being a F450 owner). Good...there isn't a load the F450 can't handle. The 6.9 will drop in, I've actually used a 7.3IP with no bad results either. harmonics or vibrations was not an issue with the ZF5 behind the 6.9. Now the bad....since the truck will handle just about anything you can throw at or on it, the suspension is buckboard stiff. You will have a approx empty weight of 7-8k on a 60"CA chassis and you will have a gross of 15k. Do the math....just remember the ride starts becoming acceptable at 10-11k. Now the really bad part.....check how much your insurance will go up. this might be a deal breaker for you. Good luck ;Sweet

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
VERY sorry for your loss. It's like at a funeral. What else can I say?

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well its like this.... the truck is very used! The cab is rusted bad and so is the bed. I think it would be better to find another truck but the guy I'm renting from has a wreaked newer F350 I think 90 model and I could buy the steering parts very cheap, does any body know if they would work with my truck?? Tim

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
whitehorse said:
Well its like this.... the truck is very used! The cab is rusted bad and so is the bed. I think it would be better to find another truck but the guy I'm renting from has a wreaked newer F350 I think 90 model and I could buy the steering parts very cheap, does any body know if they would work with my truck?? Tim

That ain't rust,thats battle scars!But anyway,Call me some time Thursday or if you can drop by,we need to talk.

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the front axle on a 90 model 2wd the same as a 84 2wd, and both being F350's? I looked at it again tonight and still can't see anything messed up other than the shock is busted. I guess thats why the truck sits lower on the side it eat the drain pipe. Tim