Wow, this burns my biscuits. Radiator rant.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
quality american made products can still be found.
you just have to keep your eyes open.
even the eyes in the back of your head.
the down side is that they are expensive.
my next radiator for this truck will most likely be from AFCO.
ive used there cooling systems on a few of my customers projects,
awesome AMERICAN company.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced the radiator cap shortly after swapping in the new radiator and it was a 13lb, just like the original one.

I work at the store where I got it, so I know I can get my money back. The O'reilly culture is to bend over and take it from the customer...at least that's the way it usually goes. Some of the stuff we get asked to exchange or refund under warranty will make you stick a rusty spoon in your eye just to distract yourself from the stupidity of it all. We had a guy return a battery that looked like he had slashed it up with a hot machete, he got his money back. cookoo

*** You actually work at the store where you got the Radiator?

AND ALL THIS RANTING AND RAVING ABOUT IT.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
The alum heaters are thinner because they are a different and more efficient fin/tube design.same with radiators today.the dodge trucks with the hemi have a 20x19 1row rad.astro vans are only 1/2 inch thick but they cool fine.

How are your heaters failing?

Maybe more efficient, but for $20 as it came it couldn't cost too much to make it a normal full thickness. Failures have been at the tank to core joints from what I can tell, some more obvious than others.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
*** You actually work at the store where you got the Radiator?

AND ALL THIS RANTING AND RAVING ABOUT IT.

I work there because I can't afford to pay full price for auto parts. I work one day a week just to keep the discount. :D Just because I work there doesn't mean I have to like everything we sell. I complain about lots of the junk in my store. LOL

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tank to core leaks are usually electrolysis damage. Check for that and post back

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
How would I check that? I have heard of electrolysis eating the solder on copper/brass radiators, but wouldn't the plastic/aluminum use a different seal as they just appear to be clamped together?

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aluminum rads are more effected by electrolosis than copper ones. Put your volt meter on 12vdc. Put one lead on ground and the other end in the coolant without touching any metal. What's the meter say?

.3v is max.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Mine is not a steady reading. Starts at ~.11v and goes down over a second or two settling at .01-.02.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online