Wow, its amazing what clean fuel will do for fixing problems.....I r teh stoopid....

masterbeavis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe next time I will start with the simple things first... (bare with me, this is somewhat of a rehash of past days events)

When I began messing with my truck, I did not catch on that grapefruit juice colored red Diesel(ran on the ranch only, WINK WINK) was bad news. I replaced my leaking IP that stalled on decell and leaked with a "good" used one. I popped the cover off of the old one after I got the truck running, and seen the crap that was in the old pump. Checked the filter, OMG.
You must be registered for see images attach

I replaced the filter, but did not get rid of the old fuel. The new pump stalled just like the old one did ,and had lots of white smoke to boot. I got the bright idea to dump out the new filter to see what the fuel looked like inside of it, and was surprised once the settling stopped.

Now I knew I had to clean out the tanks. Simply draining them was not going to be good enough for me, so out the tanks came. I had a good 3-4 oz of crap, and about a gallon of water in each tank. The fuel pickups had broken off long ago, so the motor was not getting a full water injection treatment. The rear tank began leaking immediately after I pressure washed the dirt off the outside. I guess the PO forgot to mention why the fuel tank selector switch did not function..... After screwing around probing harnesses trying to figure out ***, reading the shop manual, and EVTM, it dawned on me that I did not re-check the fuses. All of them were good when I checked them before, but I decided to find out where fuse #15 was, where the EVTM stated power for all of this stuff came from. I poked around, found that in fact there was a fuse missing. Put in a new fuse, low and behold, now when I flip the switch, the relay reacts.....

I got the midship tank cleaned, installed a fuel hose to extend the pickup, put her back in, put in 10G of clean diesel from the pump, what do you know, the truck runs like a champ. I pinned the governor for 2 mins to see what happens. I was expecting the truck to stall, but low and behold, there was no white smoke, and no stalling. Oh, and the temp and oil gauge began working as well...

The lesson I learned, when you buy a truck, first thing is to inspect the fuel and cooling system! amongst the other obvious stuff I check. (I knew to check the cooling system on 7.3s,) It did not occur to check fuel tanks on a ranch truck that had fuel from anything that was dead poured into it.

When I have more $$$ saved up, I will be getting a new IP, and injectors. I have no clue how much crap has been pumped thru those poor things, or the actual mileage on that IP. Local shops want about $10-15 each to pop test injectors (I paid $50ish to have four tested for my VW.)

The smoke comin out of the crankcase does subside as you rev it up, but it does not stop completley.

This is at idle, its about 25% of that at 1800 RPM.

smoking89IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The blowby looks normal to me, but the fuel if you could call it that does not, almost looks like strawberry jelly even in that jar lol, although that would be the nastiest jelly known to man.:puke:

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
HOLY CRAP what did they poar in there animal fat? that is nasty, i just had my tank down last summer and i was glad to see it was nice and clean inside!

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
The blowby looks normal to me, but the fuel if you could call it that does not, almost looks like strawberry jelly even in that jar lol, although that would be the nastiest jelly known to man.:puke:

Naw, they was just savin' some trouble and mixin' the peanut butter in ahead of time :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online