Worth the gamble?

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
Make your BO low O' you might be out some money on that one. I get 250$ scrap price on trucks here so I would start about that price point.
Good luck

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
scrap is alot higher than $250 on a bigass heavy truck.

Scrap is the highest i offer for ones that do not run. its all gamble. What i tell 'em is im taking all the risk and i need to be able to at least get my money back if the truck is truly junk.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Somebody looking to do a manual swap would pay at least $400 to have a donor truck with everything he needed.gf You could always put a quick socket and breaker on the crank pulley, just see if it's not locked up.

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
Somebody looking to do a manual swap would pay at least $400 to have a donor truck with everything he needed.gf You could always put a quick socket and breaker on the crank pulley, just see if it's not locked up.

the problem is even if its "free" it could still be internally damaged, finding one seized seems almost impossible to me but im sure they are out there.

scrap is at like 9.5 cents a pound for vehicles where im at that puts scrap values well over $500 dollars

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hm, come to think of it, if anyone buys it and parts it out, there's some interior parts I could use.

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
I am in the big MT we have one scrap yard within 100miles or so, they charge high and pay low. I guess shipping to the nearest foundry is a darn sight higher than in ohio, which just could be where they are shipped(probably china via the left coast tho)

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
sounds liek you should start a scrap yard!!! haha really though market demand is everything

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
400 bucks OBO???
i would have picked it up in a heartbeat!
perfect truck for a WMO project, even with that garbage TTB

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
perfect truck for a WMO project, even with that garbage TTB

...not if the motor you cant hear run is trashed

why was it parked is the real question that will determine if its worth getting. even at that take what people say w/ a grain of salt, could be junk

Giddy-Up

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I get it I'd be after the motor/trans, fuel tanks, core support, and axles if 4.10 ratio. But I'm sure at least a couple cylinders are rusty and I don't want a bored block. About how long could a motor sit like that and still be fixable with a simple tear down and hone?
You must be registered for see images attach

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a simple tear down and hone?
You must be registered for see images attach

its not the most orthodox way, but on some of the engines ive had, i didnt even pull the rotating assembly!
put @ BDC hone that sucker and run it like you stole it!
ove done over 30 oki rebuilds, and some of the funnest engines are the ones ive put the least amount of cash/time into.
granted one day they will come apart ... but..
THATS NOT "TWODAY"!!!!!

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
all answers would be completely hypothetical and speculative. you wont know until your in it.

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
sounds liek you should start a scrap yard!!! haha really though market demand is everything

I've already got one, it's out in the driveway:rotflmao When I arrived in the 80's we had 5 good yards in the valley and a really cool yard about 40miles away with tons of muscle cars and 50's to 70's trucks, the only one left is AF&T in Belgrade and it is not much of a yard, They seem to crush and ship lots of cars and trucks before they even get picked. And prices are too high I can usually get a better price shipping stuff in. Before you spend any money I would find out your local scrap price and shoot for that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7