Worn out front leaf

vlrd56

Reaction score
Hi everybody,I'm calling for some advice .
My Ford is a F25O 4 X 4 XLT with a extra cab and 250 000 miles.
The front suspension is very low due I thinck to its age and the extra weight of the iron bumpers .
I will also add a 6 ton winch soon . 2 questions :
Can I fix a front receiver hitches to be able to install the winch rear or front ?
Where can I find cheap leaf for those extra weights ?

I m in France and my syster can bring me some stuff from Ny

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Knowing what year of truck you have will make things a little easier to answer, but assuming by the leaf sag its going to be something between 83 and 96 or there abouts. Most aftermarket leaf spring places will also make OEM leaf springs as well. It sounds like you will probably want something a little heavier so I would just let them know the intended use of the leafs and you will get something that will fit your needs.

The down side could be the cost depending on your definition of cheap. Up here in Canada its not uncommon to see a couple hundred bucks a side for leaf springs. I don't know how pricing looks in the area where your sister lives, but I am sure someone more local will be able to chime in.

vlrd56

Reaction score
I forgot to tell the year,it is 1991 model which I believe came from florida with a hitch in the box and an extra electric braking stuff for heavy trailers

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I just added a leaf to my front spring packs, ($150 a leaf). I got away with leaving the springs attached to the shackles ; just dropped the axle and slid in the new leafs, and I was good to go. Truck sits level now!!!

vlrd56

Reaction score
Adding a leaf is easier on your side of the ocean .Here no Ford trucks in junkyards,to try to find parts but it seems the best issue to add an other leaf

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe consider 'Firestone Ride Right Air Bags'...more money but, installation seems simple enough.
Also, if you sister is traveling from NY to France...the package may be easier to transport vs two add-a-leafs ;Sweet

zebrabeefj40

Reaction score
What is "very low"? Measure from the top of the leaf spring to the bottom of the bumpstop and let us know what that is. I say this because I thought the same of my '92 F250 extracab and new springs were bought from Ford using a PN found in a TSB about Supercab diesel springs. Install the new leaves and shackles and the truck is just as low as before the new springs. I hang a 8' snow plow on the front in the winter and the ride drops VERY little when the plow is lifted. F250 springs are STIFF!

You might consider a Timbren kit for the front instead of new leaves. This is a common addition to plow trucks to help handle the extra weight of the plow.

Nick

vlrd56

Reaction score
The Timbren kits you suggest seem an easy way to help the load on the front,