Worlds FASTEST shipping on 7.3L I.D.I. N/A-G.R. STARTER

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'm not bad mouthing Mean Green at all. Their starter does sound superior to most. Other places charge more, in my opinion, because people don't know any better. Kind of like chain store and Ebay special pumps and injectors.

8gitmusik1

1994_E350_7.3_IDI_N/A_E4OD
Reaction score
I'm still trying to find a way to upload the TEST REPORT paperwork which ALSO was INCLUDED. I don't have a camera hooked up right now so can't easily snap a picture. (I have a DUMB phone, lol) Anyway, here ia the LINK to DB Electrical's Hi Torque - Gear Reduction Starter for my early (Feb. date code)1994 7.3L E350. It's the exact one I am putting on.
At, under a $100, I still think its a steal of a deal. What do you'll think?

https://www.dbelectrical.com/produc...esel-starter-f250-f350-1985-1994-hi-tork.html

8gitmusik1

Reaction score
Here are some pics of the DB Hi Torque 7.3 IDI 85-94 - GR Starter. Looks BEEFY right? And is 20 pounds, seems tough and to me looks well made and long lasting I hope. What opinions or thoughts do any of ya'll have?
You must be registered for see images

Sent from my SM-T567V using Tapatalk

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am about half temped to buy an extra starter and carry it with. Nothing worse then being somewhere where you can't get a starter. My Powerstroke being an auto there is no pulling it to start.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are some pics of the DB Hi Torque 7.3 IDI 85-94 - GR Starter. Looks BEEFY right? And is 20 pounds, seems tough and to me looks well made and long lasting
I'm just going to point out that this is a Denso-clone starter, from china and the like. There's nothing wrong with the design - it's a proven, good design. It's just that DB doesn't have anything special there. Just, as far as I can tell, the same basic starter that is everywhere on Ebay. Like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Premiu...-for-Ford-Diesel-7-3L-6-9L-16658/152583788574

I personally have a few different Denso and Denso-clone starters; the parts are basically identical. The differences can be in machining quality(how long the brushes last), and solenoid contact design - I've seen some with "narrow" and some with "wide" contact metal bits(Obviously the more surface area the current is spread across, the longer it lasts).

So, I'm not saying DB starters are bad, just that they don't have anything secret or special, and the price is... reasonable.

8gitmusik1

Reaction score
I am about half temped to buy an extra starter and carry it with. Nothing worse then being somewhere where you can't get a starter. My Powerstroke being an auto there is no pulling it to start.
There ya go Randy...lol, go ahead, my diesel OB brother and give in to "starter temptation"...especially at this price. (i'll get a spare too eventually) I'm such a BAD influence, but in a GOOD way :)

Look at it this way, at least a starter won't strand you out in BFE...it'll be something else, lol What was it, Randy? What pushed you over the edge, lol??? Was it, the PICTURES I recently posted, the price, the free shipping or all of the above?

8gitmusik1

Reaction score
I'm just going to point out that this is a Denso-clone starter, from china and the like. There's nothing wrong with the design - it's a proven, good design. It's just that DB doesn't have anything special there. Just, as far as I can tell, the same basic starter that is everywhere on Ebay. Like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Premiu...-for-Ford-Diesel-7-3L-6-9L-16658/152583788574

I personally have a few different Denso and Denso-clone starters; the parts are basically identical. The differences can be in machining quality(how long the brushes last), and solenoid contact design - I've seen some with "narrow" and some with "wide" contact metal bits(Obviously the more surface area the current is spread across, the longer it lasts).

So, I'm not saying DB starters are bad, just that they don't have anything secret or special, and the price is... reasonable.
+1 MacRobb, for being on target. It is a chinese starter and I didn't know it was a DENSO-CLONE, so, thanks for pointing that out.

Nope, never said or thought it was "special" or "unique" or "better" than a $400 Mean Green" or any high dollar Gear Reduction name brand starter, for sure, just that the shipping was exceptional in terms of how fast it arrived and the price, after I excluded the $25, that some other sellers were going to charge, it brought my actual cost down to $71 approx. which is, in my opinion great.

I haven't checked yet but, I wonder what a BRAND NEW DENSO would run on the open market? Thanks for your insight and input, MacRobb :)

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 MacRobb, for being on target. It is a chinese starter and I didn't know it was a DENSO-CLONE, so, thanks for pointing that out.

Nope, never said or thought it was "special" or "unique" or "better" than a $400 Mean Green" or any high dollar Gear Reduction name brand starter, for sure, just that the shipping was exceptional in terms of how fast it arrived and the price, after I excluded the $25, that some other sellers were going to charge, it brought my actual cost down to $71 approx. which is, in my opinion great.

I haven't checked yet but, I wonder what a BRAND NEW DENSO would run on the open market? Thanks for your insight and input, MacRobb :)

From Denso website for a "93 7.3 f250 like I have

Starter Motor
280-4253
Buy Now
Mfr Label Reman Starter
Fuel Type DIESEL
Voltage 12.0 Volts DC
Family MITSUBISHI OE
Power Rating 3.6 Kilowatts
Starter Rotation Clockwise

Total:$300.02 (US)$246.02 (US)

You Saved $54.00 (US)

($246.02 (US) Each)

Denso 280-4253 Is On National Back Order With No ETA

It gives you a choice when you hit buy now where you want to buy it straight from Denso or a list of auto part stores

8gitmusik1

Reaction score
I'm adding a few more old thread links on Nippondenso and their clone counterparts, for posterity. We need all the info we can get, good, bad, and ugly so newbies can make the best desision on their next starter purchase on their 7.3 or 6.9 diesel rig. Wait a minute, I'm new here too!? Eureka, I also need this info, lol :)

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...&share_tid=33334&share_fid=72600&share_type=t

8gitmusik1

Reaction score

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
2 main things I'm glad about our starters:
1) I see they fit near all brands of tractors too, Case, maybe John Deere, maybe even INTERNATIONAL.............
2) I'm just glad my IDI don't have a hole up front below the radiator that I have to stick a crank rod into & turn to crank this thing........

ok, I'll shut up & go back to my dark corner & be quiet...... LOL

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple of things to point out:
One, as you can see, 2.5kW(on the DB and cheap clones) isn't really a "high torque" rating. It's pretty standard/lower-end.
Two... It works just fine. Seriously. The two bottom-of-the-barrel 2.5kW starters were more than enough to crank an IDI very quickly, on a /single/ Group 65 battery no less!
(The difference in quality comes from how long it will last. We'll see. I'm going to have to pull out one of those cheap starters that's currently on a 6.9 and see what it looks like now... After my friend literally drained an entire brand new Group 65 battery into it over <5 minutes. On two separate occasions. It got hot enough to start burning the solenoid-to-motor silicone insulator, and the solenoid started sticking ON from the contacts melting together! Last I saw, it still worked, though.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online

No members online now.