Wood u buy a high mileage turbo 6.9?

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The truck search continues. Found a very clean '86 250 that appears to be well maintained, but, there's always a but, it has 338k and a sidewinder turbo for the last 150k. How much of a concern are the head bolts and rocker arms? I know anything can be fixed if the budget is there, but it ain't there right now. The truck has been re-painted, Gear Vendors added, immaculate interior, and same owner the last 28 years. I want to take some longer road trips and the extra gears/OD are attractive.

If the head gaskets have started to fail are there any external signs? Seepage/leakage? Common location?

Isaac Ristow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go for it! Make sure its not exceeding 8psi of boost. Valve guides will probably be pretty worn at that millage. I'd buy it treat it nice and find a 7.3 engine to stud and go though as budget and time allows so the day it does croak or your ready to feed it more fuel and boost for more power you safely can and you'll be ready for it

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't hesitate to buy it with those components. But I've got the budget and ability to fix it if it breaks, and spare vehicles to drive while in the process.

If you don't have any of those, it's a pretty big gamble as to whether or not this will work for you. 338k is past what I would consider a normal lifetime. So if the major engine/trans rebuilds haven't occurred yet, I'd consider their failures to be more imminent then not.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
I would do it it if the price is right and the truck itself is in good shape. I have always rathered buying a high mileage vehicle that was very well maintained, then a vehicle with average miles that has more problems than you can shake a stick at.

Rock

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 86 350 has a hypermax on it and I run 14psi and would trust to take it anywhere once I put a tcase in it iv had it 12 years now and really havent had any issues with it and its got a pile of miles on it

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It does sound like it was loved, I'd definitely have to drive it and check the color of the transmission fluid.

I wouldn't fret too much about the miles on the engine though as long as it runs well and starts good. A friend of mine had about 600,000 on his when he scrapped it because the body was literally falling off.

The fact that it sounds well maintained makes it a lot less likely to be a money pit.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'm a little bit different. If it had a 4 speed, then I'd buy it. If it had a C6, then I'd have to do some serious thinking first. Of course price, number of drive axles, and body style would have to factor in there as well.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
I'm a little bit different. If it had a 4 speed, then I'd buy it. If it had a C6, then I'd have to do some serious thinking first. Of course price, number of drive axles, and body style would have to factor in there as well.
I completely agree about transmissions. I am always leery of autos, and I much prefer a manual anyway.

Rock

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies--food for thoughts. It's a manual and according to the owner he runs Royal Purple in everything but the engine where he uses Delo. Price is a bit high for the miles at $9500 but I may try to go see it this weekend. It's a couple hour drive or I'd do it sooner. There was an '85 F250 with 120k and a US gear aux trans that sold locally in less than 24 hrs--didn't even have a chance to contact the owner! I'm not sure I like the idea of our trucks getting popular.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But I've got the budget and ability to fix it if it breaks, and spare vehicles to drive while in the process.

Yeah that would be nice, but I tell ya' there's no better motivation to finish a job and do it well than taking apart your ONLY vehicle.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All right. I just talked with the owner for 45 minutes and it won't be easy for me to try and talk him down on price. The owner's a very nice retired firefighter who thought he'd keep the truck forever but age, injury and circumstance have changed things. Still gonna' check it out this weekend.

One thing though, despite doing so many good things to the truck he did say he recently put some StopLeak to take care of a small drip at the weep hole in the water pump so it will need a new pump soon. Changing the pump is easy enough but the StopLeak is certainly something I wouldn't do. Any thoughts?