won't start

Thatguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was running just fine when I shut it off last night. I tried to start it earlier today and nothing. It has been hard starting when cold since I got it, all the glow pugs work, how well they work I got no idea just that all 8 work, got about a 20-30 second glow time before they cycle off. I have always had to try 4 or 5 times cranking it to start and it has always cranked slow but it has always started. anyways I tried to start it earlier today and it tried like it always does but failed due to several distractions going on at the time I failed to get it running....... but I was getting white smoke while cranking (a sign that its getting fuel)..... and I finally wore the batteries down. Drove the Lincoln to the family function and when I got home (2 hours later) I turned the key and all I got was one click.

I have a 230amp alternator on my Blazer for jump starting my cummins ISX in the winter time (I don't use winter fuel or additives) so I put my jumper cables on the right hand battery (as per owners manual) waited a few minutes and all I got was click. checked the battery cables and had to tighten the right hand positive lead. hooked the jumper cables up again and waited a few minutes and still all I got was click. Turned on the headlights and had full power.

I crawled under the truck and had my daughter turn the key while I tapped on the starter with a hammer (light taps...... just a tap tap tapparoo) and it turned over....... really fast ..... like never turned over this fast ever, sounded almost like a high torque gear reduction starter. crawled out from under the truck and tried the 4 or 5 glow and starter cycle..... no white smoke..... not getting fuel ......... checked the fuel bowl and it has fuel in the bowl (but I think I need a new filter, it was black and nasty, not gray). so I gave up and unhooked the jumper cables.

For ***** and giggles I tried the starter again..... all I got was click. Turned on the headlights and I got full power, even when I turn the key and only get click.

I know I atleast need a new starter (and prolly batteries, they have been in since 2004) but the no white smoke concerns me because as far as I know that means its not popping the injectors and not getting fuel.

1) I can disable the glow plug controller and start it with that magic make anything start stuff called either and see how long it runs on a short shot and if it starts picking up fuel

2) Maybe the cam position sensor is bad and thats what was causing my starting issues to start with..... which leads me to ask which one I need. The one for below whatever number has been discontinued by international and the one for above whatever serial number is the one I can get..... autozone only lists one but I have heard the autozone one causes the engine to not run right. And where is the the cam position sensor I can't see it.

3) ............. only guessing ........ but it does not seem to be getting fuel to the injectors. if this is not a simple problem then it is going to sit until spring when it warms up......

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That "click" your hearing. Is it coming from the starter solenoid? That's what my truck doese when it has a bad starter.

Thatguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep. but after I tapped on the starter I got 250ish cranking rmps...... unhooked the cables and click......

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's gotta crank at least 500 RPM to start, slow RPM will give you white smoke, HPOP pressure has to be at least 400 PSI cold start. Change the fuel filter for one thing if it's that gooky. When was the last Oil change, these PSD's need clean oil, dirty oil is not conducive to firing the injectors. Sounds like the solenoid on the starter is bad, the copper ring contact on it is burned. The CPS is on the Pass side front of engine close to the damper pulley, one bolt 10mm wrench or socket, follow the wire to it.

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the engine doesn't spin fast enough for the HPOP to make 450 psi it will not fire the injectors which means no white smoke. Also the wait to start light is pcm controlled and independant of the glow plugs. Just because you have the light does't mean the glow plugs are working.

Thatguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that explains why when I unplugged the GPC I still had the glow light. got a new starter and new batteries but stupid new years storm is preventing me from installing them

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Replace the starter and charge/replace the batts as youre already gonna do.

When cranking does the tachometer move? Should read 250-500 rpm while cranking.even with a super slow crank it should be smoking.the injectors are still dumping fuel but not with enough pressure to property atomize to start.

If it still won't start and no smoke while cranking check the under hood fuses.if#22 fuse is popped disconnect the fuel heater and replace the fuse.if the fuse is good its most likely the cam sensor.get it from ford or international only.they are all the same cps up to 03.the blue cps ive seen mentioned in another thread here is for the dt 466 and dt 530.There was a long talk about it on sdd.they say it advances the timing too much for the psd.

The black gunk in the fuel filter is oil and pieces of the injector orings.replace them soon or youll be having it towed home at the worst time or it just won't start hot one day when you really need it

Last edited:

Thatguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got a receipt for new Injector O-rings ...... possible he didn't change the filter, got a new filter in it now, the fuel in the bowl was clean. changed the starter today (layed down in the fracking snow for 1/2 hour to do that), gonna put the batteries in tomorrow ...... got a CPS from selking international that just showed up today.

where is the hpop reservoir? I prolly need to fill it manually

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The HPOP will fill when cranking, but you can fill it, only takes about a pint.
Where it says SUCK, it's also FILL.

Attachments

• engine%20parts.jpg
    engine%20parts.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 12

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker