won't shut off

emmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks Jake.

Your has a bit more rust than mine, but your's is turbo'd and has A/C !! .......something I can only dream of :)

emmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hooked up the 'water in fuel' sensor wire but the crazy thing still won't shut off.:backoff

I think I'll run the solenoid wire thru a switch and then back to the solenoid, that'll shut it off ;)

Last edited:

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's how mine is, well sort of - I have battery power to a switch in the cab, then that triggers a relay in the engine bay, and that in its turn powers up both the FSS in the IP and the VRin the alternator. Guess what happens if that evil fuse link in the main harness burns up and kills all power to the cab - I keep on trucking :D Also my truck is a mother to start if you don't know what each of the unmarked switches on the dash does...

emmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's how mine is, well sort of - I have battery power to a switch in the cab, then that triggers a relay in the engine bay, and that in its turn powers up both the FSS in the IP and the VRin the alternator. Guess what happens if that evil fuse link in the main harness burns up and kills all power to the cab - I keep on trucking :D Also my truck is a mother to start if you don't know what each of the unmarked switches on the dash does...

I better get mine fixed, just in case a cop pulls me over and screams:yell: "shut the truck off" !!!! ........and I can't ;)

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unplug the alternator and regulator and see if it shuts off. Putting ac in one of these trucks is real easy.

stonecrusher

Reaction score
The fuel heater probably shorted out at some point and thats more than likely why the wire is unhooked(mine is the same way). I put an electric fuel pump on and wired it and the injection pump to toggle switches because my truck had the same issue. Now I can shut off the key and the truck will still run until I shut off the switches or it runs out of fuel. Doing this took care of my problem and now my truck is definitely impossible to take unless you know how to turn everything on. I just figured I would through that your way

emmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally fixed it. I took the wire off the solenoid (shutdown) and hooked it to a wire that runs into the cab to a switch (kinda hidden) and then back out to the soleinoid.

It works perfectly.............no more having to stall my truck to get it to stop running.;Sweet

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just make sue the wires running through the firewall are well insulated and can't rub through and short out.

emmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just make sue the wires running through the firewall are well insulated and can't rub through and short out.

yeah that's really important. I drilled the hole and then I siliconed a piece of plastic (1/8th thick,plumbing coupler) thru it and then fed the wires inside the coupler, so it should be fine.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If a thief had my keys, he could spin it over, but unless he see's my switch he's SOL :D

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should be alright then, altho I'd have used a rubber grommet instead of the plastic as plastic is still rather hard and if its ends ain't deburred good it could still cut the wires... but at least they won't short to ground.

emmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what I did with the last plastic pipe was ---

I put the (machanical) water line thru the plastic fitting and I lifted it up about a 1/4 inch and put some shoe-goo (liquid rubber) under it on the engine side as well as the cab side. That way it is sitting only on rubber,.... it can't possibly rub against the plastic.

I'll do the same for the wires for the engine ~shut off~.

I go to great lengths to make sure my wiring lasts for years to come, because I hate doing something twice and I hate being broke down.:mad:

I am using plastic because I have several odds and ends that I'll never (otherwise)use.

Last edited:

stonecrusher

Reaction score
It might even be a good idea to put a fuse in the power wire that way if something would go wrong the fuse would blow before something else burnt up

emmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It might even be a good idea to put a fuse in the power wire that way if something would go wrong the fuse would blow before something else burnt up

Thats a good idea but i'm wondering what amp fuse I should use :dunno
I'm thinking maybe a 10 or 15 amp..