wmo pump solution?

cranknrods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the major problem with running wmo is the fact that its viscocity makes it hard to source a good fuel pump that wont kick the bucket when its cold and the oil is sluggish. i noticed that alot of guys are wanting to try and use a converted/modified power steering pump. my question is.... why not use a dry sump pump. i dont know alot about these pumps but from my under standing you can regulat the flow pretty easy and they also dont care what temp the oil is. thus you wont have to worry about your IP dieing from lack of fuel lube.

so-in a little while when my warrany expires, im thinkin about pushin my wmo with a dry sump pump-my fear though is. will running diesel through a dry sump pump hurt it? (when im away from my oil source at home)

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i was looking for a small gear pump to feed the engine but they are $$$$ i have an old gear hydraulic pump from a plow that was run from a pulley but the shaft is bent so for now i moved on.

i am leaning towards a power steering pump because
1. they are cheep and plentiful
2. easy to get parts for
3. i had one lying around the garage so i am out almost nothing to try.

like i have said i have played with a airtex solenoid pump, a carter rotary pump and a holley blue and they all fell short and the temps are still warm out.

cranknrods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
will diesel hurt a normal old oil pump? or will i always have to run wmo once i get that pump installed.....

thoughts?

subway

Reaction score
Has any of our long term WMO users killed a mechanical fuel pump?

Don't recall seeing that anywhere.
the guy in this link did, i would think it would be more likely to rupture the diagram pushing the thicker fuel.

http://www.hartshangout.citymax.com/page/page/4688702.htm

i used a ham can style chevy powersteering pump (actually left over from my jeep) i dont have it all together and working yet so these are just some teaser shots:D

Attachments

• pump1.jpg
    pump1.jpg
    744.3 KB · Views: 12
  • pump2.jpg
    pump2.jpg
    746 KB · Views: 15
  • pump3.jpg
    pump3.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 15
  • ps-pumps.jpg
    ps-pumps.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

subway

Reaction score
well, to start i put a pic of a un-modified pump. not mine, mine was much more grungy and dug from a parts pile. i didn't get any pics until i got it apart and figured it might work.

i then drilled out and tapped the inlets and outlets. it looks like i actually have 4 fittings but two of them are looped together. there is a opening at the front of the bearing before the shaft seal that would just drain back into the reservoir. obviously since i don't want the reservoir anymore i cant have that so i looped it back into the inlet side. so that leaves me with just an inlet and outlet after that.

a trick i have to give to Jeff (guy from the link) is removing some of the wafers to back down the pumping ability. this pump is HUGE compared to a holley or carter aftermarket pump. i am only taking a guess by running half the wafers and i will see where it takes me. you will HAVE to run a good external regulator WITH a return line to bleed off the extra.

there are several other tips and tricks i ran into and will write it up if i can get it to work alright.

i can try putting something together today especially since it is crappy out but i honestly don't know if it will work right or if i have it right at all quite yet.

another thing to do is just get a foreign car steering pump and you just have to figure out the inlet and outlet fittings. most of them have no reservoir so you are already ahead there. i just had this siting around and i know they are cheep and plentiful. i have a ford pump to that looks like it can be modded to run with no reservoir also but it is about 2 inches wider front to back so it will be harder to fit it where i want to put it.

if this works though it should be a very robust set up running off the engine and very reliable to with no motor to burn out. not knocking aftermarket pumps but they weren't cutting it for me at all with 100 WMO.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
ya i here you im afraid that im going to burn up my new carrier lift pump thanks what pully are you going to run i have a vacume pump pully do you think that might work
ive have a chebby ps pump and a ferd ps pump so

subway

Reaction score
i believe a vacuum pump pulley would fit on the shaft BUT it would be turning the pump in reverse riding the back half of the serp belt set up. if you are talking v-belt you should be fine.

now you can very easily reverse these pumps by flipping over the oval ring the wafers rid in. then you could ride the back of the serp belt no problem.

i plan on putting mine in right around where the lift pump is and getting a longer belt. i should have enough room once put the block off plate in.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Interesting idea... Right now, I'm using the PS pump from a Honda Accord, as my WMO filtering/fueling pump..

I have the DuraLift pump in my 87 and it seems very happy, pumping 100% WMO (Even on some of our cooler mornings lately).

I just picked up 4 barrels of oil yesterday and found out that 3 of them were full of hydraulic oil! I don't know what it is about this stuff, but it super-thins my WMO.. Almost to the consistency of #2. Any thoughts?

Gary

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
Interesting idea... Right now, I'm using the PS pump from a Honda Accord, as my WMO filtering/fueling pump..

I have the DuraLift pump in my 87 and it seems very happy, pumping 100% WMO (Even on some of our cooler mornings lately).

I just picked up 4 barrels of oil yesterday and found out that 3 of them were full of hydraulic oil! I don't know what it is about this stuff, but it super-thins my WMO.. Almost to the consistency of #2. Any thoughts?

Gary

burn it