WMO for dummies

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is there a tech article for WMO?
i have no clue about the process and would love to learn.
i have a 87 F350, but i will be purchasing another ford to learn how to use WMO.
after 12 years at my current residence, i have been putting all my oil in 55 gallon drums.
i have several cars and boats that get regular oil changes, i currently have about 130 gallons of it.
the bad part is that some of it has trans fluid, gear fluid, water and trace amounts of antifreeze.
whats the best way to seperate the water?
i have been collecting 250 gallon plastic drums to finally straighten up my oil mess.
do the type of containers you hold it in matter?
any help and articles i can read will be much appreciated!
thanks!

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think just trying to read the threads in this section might be the best way to get a feel for wmo.
All different oils mixed together really wouldn't be so bad, but little too much water/antifreeze might be tricky.
Usually starting out some sort of filtering, then just add some to a fuel tank. Usually start at a low percentage of wmo-regular fuel, and increase from there..
Some of the threads with pics help with ideas on filtering setup, usually becomes a work in progress, a person gets a certain setup, but sees something different then want to change.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the writing assignment... i'll type up something...

WMO For 6.9/7.3 IDI's for Dummies:
Waste motor oil, properly processed, is an excellent fuel source. It has more chemical potential energy than diesel, and no modifications are required on a Ford IDI engine.

Cut the oil:
Two natural properties of pure oil are counterproductive in diesel engines... the high viscosity and high flash point. By adding in about 15% gasoline (RUG, regular unleaded gas), you can counteract both of these undesirable qualities. I do my mixing in 5 gallon buckets with a paint mixer paddle on a drill.

Settle the oil:
Gasoline, time, and gravity will help the oil "settle." Water, which is heavier, will sink to the bottom. Gasoline helps to knock some contaminants out of suspension, and they'll sink to the bottom. Cutting with RUG before settling decreases the time needed for impurities and water to settle out.

Filtering the oil:
Filtration is the key. Most people starting out with WMO won't be jumping straight to a centrifuge, so I'll focus on conventional filters. Three common types of filters are sock, spin-on, and household water.

Sock filters can be used by simply hanging it inside of a bucket, and pouring oil through. Housings for use with sock filters are fairly expensive, and they are best used for a rough pre-filter (~100 microns) when pouring oil between buckets or very small batch processing with a 1 micron filter.

Spin-on filters use traditional automotive style filters, but finding ones with a low enough micron rating (1, ideally) can be difficult and expensive. Water-separating spin-on filters are fairly easy to obtain, and make for a simple addition to help separate any residual water.

Household water filters and housings are very economical to use for filtration. Ideally, you want to filter down to 1 micron, so your last filter should be a 1 micron absolute filter. Since household water filter housings can be found in pairs or triplets, I'd recommend multiple filters before the 1 micron element. This keeps the more expensive 1 micron filter from getting clogged by much larger particles.

Currently I run a 20, 10, 5, and 1 micron filter, then a spin-on water separator.

Gravity vs Pump:
Gravity works, albeit very slowly, to push WMO through your filter assembly and is perfectly acceptable when starting out with WMO. Pump driven assemblies can use an electric all in one pump, such as the Harbor Freight clear water pump. These operate best when gravity fed, to avoid priming issues. PVC pipe or clear vinyl tubing available at any home improvement store works perfectly fine with oil.

Storage:
HDPE containers work just fine for storing oil. These can range from simple 5 gallon buckets to several hundred gallon tanks. When pulling from a large tank, it's recommended to draw from a couple inches off the bottom to avoid the dirtiest, settled part of the oil. Never use the very bottom layer of gunk/sludge if you're using small buckets.

Use in a vehicle:
During the summer I was able to run W85 (WMO cut with 15% RUG) exclusively. Startups weren't an issue on oil alone. For winter use, I start/shutdown on diesel in the rear tank, and switch to my W85 in the front tank immediately after starting.

Tolerance to oil will vary, cautiously experiment with your vehicle to find what it likes.

Transmission or hydraulic fluid will burn good as well. Avoid heavier gear oil, and any diesel/water emulsion.

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
rad.
i shall start filtering this oil.

when you cut it with RUG, do you use it soon or do you let it sit?

i wont be running this in my 87. i will be buying another truck.
i can find them fairly cheap on occasion.
i have 2 reasons for wanting to run WMO.
1) i have enough of it, and i need to dispose of it somehow.
2) gives me an excuse to buy another project and continue my learning curve:D

as far as the centrifuge, could you tell me a little more when you have time?
business is doing really well, and its write-offable lol
so cleaning up the oil i have is #1, i dont need OSHA coming in here and messin with me.

FYI A++++ on this assignment

metrobruce

Reaction score
cold filter it , in my recent experience, trying to do the so called right thing and evaporate the suspended water off with heat evaporates the light elements away leaving you with a slower burning fuel, I have conducted my tests which are very basic side by side tests of heat treated 100% wmo and 100% wmo just cold filtered. the most combustible by far was the cold filtered oil. having said this I have no idea of what my oil barrels contain and with such variables each batch will be different but the trend seems to be better performance when cold filtered. recently, as the fuel system has evolved I have moved back to running w85 (15% gasoline) mix and all is well and I would recommend this mix, I filter down to about 15 microns using a normal diesel filter and housing and a recirculating pump system using electric inline fuel pump. I have had one filter plug up in all of the time I have been experimenting, this occurred with the heat treated fuel batch 3000 miles so far and it has been a bit of a journey.

my fuel system consists of two filters on the feed line from the tank, one of them is heated and the other has a water trap at the bottom. these filters feed a looped return meaning the return is piped beck into the feed to the pump, fuel was returning back to the tank when left overnight, this was solved by fitting a manual priming pump before the filters which acted like a non return valve. Another problem I had was two filters inline was too much for the fuel pump to pull the fuel through and it was starving at high revs, I decided to put a filter on that was designed for engine oil which could flow a higher volume of oil, this filter was on the heated filter head and this acts as a pot of hot oil.

All in all I am happy with the performance of my car and fuel system, my filtration techneque will be improved shortly when I build a centrifuge and there is still room for improvement with my fuel setup and I am building a heat exchanger using a watercooled inter cooler from a toyota celica gt4, it has a nice sized flat plate heat exchanger and holds a fair amount of coolant.

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
A little self promotion here...check out the website in my signature and go through it and my awesome youtube videos and dropbox info. I hope it helps...

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
4 threads down from this one is one by bbjordan, take a look into it.
Amazing stuff.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when you cut it with RUG, do you use it soon or do you let it sit?
as far as the centrifuge, could you tell me a little more when you have time?

Good clean waste oil can be cut with RUG and used immediately. Dirtier oil will need time to settle... you'll get a feel for it.

Centrifuges:
Centrifuges are the "holy grail" of the WMO and WVO worlds. They operate on a simple concept, G-forces. At 3000+ times the force of gravity, particulates and gunk are thrown out of suspension. The collected bits stick to the sides of the centrifuge, while cleaned oil "climbs" out and into a secondary collection bin. There are two ways that centrifuges are driven, pressure or an electric motor. Pressurized setups rely on pumping oil at high pressure to spin the centrifuge, while electric ones are driven directly by a motor.

The quality of the oil you get out of a centrifuge is based on two factors, time and passes. The longer oil sits in the centrifuge (controlled by the flow into the 'fuge), the cleaner it should be. You can also run it through the centrifuge multiple times, to ensure the cleanest possible oil.

There are turnkey, ready to go centrifuge rigs available for ~$1000. Expect to have to set up a gravity feed or small pump to introduce oil to the centrifuge, and either a pump or gravity feed to get the clean oil out. You will have to stop and partially disassemble the centrifuge to clean out the 'bowl.'

That's a bit of a overhead view on WMO stuffs. Don't be afraid to experiment, I usually process/filter 4-5 gallon batches at a time just in case I see water/antifreeze/etc.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4 threads down from this one is one by bbjordan, take a look into it.
Amazing stuff.

X2 on what bbjordan has been doing.
The mixing of bio-diesel with wmo seems like more crud gets separated.
But there's been a lot of info that says don't mix the two, but maybe it's when wmo & bio-diesel get mixed.
(before putting it in the pickup seems to work better)

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of these days, one of these days. My home made centrifuge has it's bearings, housing, bucket and shaft all completed, all it's waiting on now is is the drive motor pulley, and drive motor, which I already have, just need to modify and me to assemble ALL those pcs into a working motor driven fuge. It will be the size equivelent of those 1500.00 jobs, but so far I have about 150 bucks in it.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of these days, one of these days. My home made centrifuge has it's bearings, housing, bucket and shaft all completed, all it's waiting on now is is the drive motor pulley, and drive motor, which I already have, just need to modify and me to assemble ALL those pcs into a working motor driven fuge. It will be the size equivelent of those 1500.00 jobs, but so far I have about 150 bucks in it.

complete write up requested!!!
por-favor

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance