WMO filtration and pick up question

oregon101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just gravity filter my oil threw bag filters down to 1 micron. Nothing to fancy at this point. I'm working on a larger setup for the future.

BED BOLTS

Reaction score
fordguy give me a call i will hook you up with some barrelsmaybe free but alot cheaper then 25.oo.
iam out of sandy,ore 503-348-3692 call anytime!
mike

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fordguy100 you could probably find a barrel or 2 near a dumpster of a repair shop or lube shop. companies don't seem to care about picking up the empties and they're too big to put in a dumpster.

RJMorrow

Reaction score
Yeah, $25 for a used 55 gallon drum is steep. I picked up a used 275 gallon heating oil tank for $50. off of Craigslist last week. Already has a bottom drain built in for water/antifreeze/crap. I am also using Towcats filter setup, As for a pump, i am using the model# LP50P36Q115 from Tuthill.
http://transfer.tuthill.com/Products/OilPumps/LTKoil.asp

The 55 gallon drum i do have a paid $8.00 a peice for from a guy that cut them up for burn barrels.

RJMorrow

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
My setup is simple but it works for me. I only filter about 100-120L per month as I just want to keep my fuel costs to $50 per week or under (I only drive 400-500KM every 2 weeks to work)...Not trying to get greedy and burn too much WMO. I do notice a difference in power and performance on the straight diesel vs WMO. The filters I use are cheap and of good quality or CAT would not use them - they are SUPER **** about filtration. They filter their new oil before they put it in an engine.cookoo :dunno

I wonder if we could make a group purchase to get some peel/stick 12V and 120V tank heating pads for winter use?. I'm considering a heater for my rear tank and then spray foaming it to hold the heat in. I also have my F-inlaw looking into some coolant plate style heaters from CAT, they also sell tank heaters as well.

milner351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the other type of heater I've considered is a heat exchanger using coolant instead of electrical power.

It would mean you couldn't swap from diesel to WMO until the engine reached operating temp though.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
the other type of heater I've considered is a heat exchanger using coolant instead of electrical power.

It would mean you couldn't swap from diesel to WMO until the engine reached operating temp though.

thats what i got in my rig, a plate exchanger

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I'm looking to heat it when it's plugged in and then heat it via 12V or coolant when I head for work. I don't drive that far to work, maybe 45km round-trip so in the winter I need the oil to be warm fast so I can burn it.

mcbg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just bought the plans for a super sucker, it pucks up oil at 1 gallon per second it uses a vacuum pump to create the suction- hope to have it built soon
utah biodiesel
pm me if you want the plans

The simple Centrifuge reports that it filters down to .5 microns and there are no filters to buy- I like how it works on WVO, get alot of real fine stuff.
simplecentrifuge.com

how I heat the WVO is with inline water heater element on a 1.5" Tee.
be carefull with these, if the flow stops or you run out of oil they will start to smoke and burn out
http://bayareabiodieselsupply.com
- they also sell cone bottom tanks that would be good for dewatering. I will let you guys know how it works when i get a cord to the thermostat.

milner351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of a 110v heater much like a block heater you can put on a timer to come on an hour or so before you get up to go to work in the winter - at least that way you can drive to work on warm WMO..... but unless you have access to an outlet at work, you're still looking at straight diesel for most of the way home..... another reason I'm looking into getting waste ATF and trying to run that for the winter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online