WMO filtration and pick up question

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Alright, so I'm going to be running on WMO in the near future. I need some help from you guys though.

First off, WMO increases BTU's, ie it has more BTU's than regular diesel, correct? I heard that it lowers the cetane rating though, should one compensate for that by adjusting the pump, or not?

Ok, here is my idea of a filtration rig:

You must be registered for see images attach

Added into that, though, is a fuel/water seperator, a 10 micron filter, and a 1 micron filter. I'll get rid of that 5micron filter pictured. I will also add a magnet into the mix somewhere to get the iron out. See any flaws in the design, besides the whole it'll take forever when its cold thing?

My next question, and most important, would be where the heck do I pick up new 55 gallon drums? I'm thinking I need around 10 of them, 2 for the processor, and 8 to pick up and store oil. How much do they run each?

Pumps, can you guys give me some links to some pumps that you use. When I get oil, its going to be a one time deal, for a couple month or more session, so I need a pump that wont totally drive me physically exhausted after 200 gallons or so.

blender

Reaction score

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If drum #1 is the "settling" drum, I wouldn't draw off the bottom since the big pieces of crud will settle at the bottom. That way you can let it build up for a while by letting the stuff settle and draw the "cleaner" stuff off the side maybe 1/4-1/3 the way up. I'm currently using a commercial chassis 19gal tank as the settling tank and have removed the pickup foot to stay off the bottom.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm using towcats filter head and filter setup but I'm waiting on my pump now, it should be in tomorrow. Link for the pump I ordered, not from this site though they are high. I got it for less than this shipped 3 day express, I was working and lost out on a used one on ebay so I booted up and just got a new one.
I have to give "Big Rig Tech" credit for the initial idea. All I did was hit my parts books to cross over the filter heads once he came up with the filters with the proper micron ratings. I have books for Baldwin and Wix, but Wix is more common commercially in this area.

blender

Reaction score
He is good if he will thread a pipe through the hole in the bottom that extends about 6-8" into the drum. Your setup will stay the same but you aren't pulling from the bottom like towcat said.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I didnt even think about using the top one as a settling tank, that makes sense though.

Where should I pick up 55 gallon drums? I havent really even been able to find them on the internet anywhere...

blender

Reaction score

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
He is good if he will thread a pipe through the hole in the bottom that extends about 6-8" into the drum. Your setup will stay the same but you aren't pulling from the bottom like towcat said.

standpipe drum plans
Used for biodiesel but I use the design for de-watering my WVO.

cold upflow settling design
May be helpful with your WMO filtering. :dunno

Look on Craig's List for drums.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
standpipe drum plans
Used for biodiesel but I use the design for de-watering my WVO.

cold upflow settling design
May be helpful with your WMO filtering. :dunno

Look on Craig's List for drums.

Yeah, those are some good ideas

Anyways, I forgot about this fuel tank sitting behind our shop. I went and drug it out an hour ago. Its one of those above ground tanks, though it doesnt have a stand, I'll have to fab one up. I think its in the 150-250gallon tank, cant really tell. A good 4.5-5' in length, 2' wide, and 3' tall, just guesstamits. But I'll need to get some 55 gallon tanks for my processor, found a guy an hour away with some used ones that look in good condition, for $25 each.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
I have to give "Big Rig Tech" credit for the initial idea.
same thing i just took his idea and put it to my own and the free stuff i had laying around thanks bigrigtech

i use our 300 gal oil tank for storage pump it out of there with the pump monted on top close the valve so i dont pressurize the pump then add 20psi regulated and it pushes the oil throught my filters and then into my tank pretty simple set up but the next thing i got to do is add a fuel heater to my truck for winter

Attachments

• IMGP0804_resize.JPG
    IMGP0804_resize.JPG
    339.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMGP0814_resize.JPG
    IMGP0814_resize.JPG
    258.6 KB · Views: 36

datkinsonsr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where should I pick up 55 gallon drums? I havent really even been able to find them on the internet anywhere...

Look for a company that refurbishes drums. I found one nearby my place and got two drums with removable tops and a side *********. Perfect for what I want to do for my set up. Cost me $28 a peace. Harbor Freight has a clear water pump, 1" fittings, for sale price $29. Northern has a clear water pump, 1" fittings, for $ 39. Write ups on the last one from purchasers claim that this pump has worked well for them on waste oil and veg oil for several years in one case. Can get this info on internet for Northern Tools. I am adding a heating element to both of my drums to reduce load on pump and filters. Should have set up finished soon. Need to build an enclosure for it first.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i have always found my drums locally and the most i have paid for them are $7 most times they are free. little guys bring them home form there jobs and put them out by the roads around here.

i just used the $29 water pump from harber freight. it worked but dont be in a hurry. it was a bit of a pain to purge and took about 30-45 mins to fill a 55 gallon drum in my truck. the pump had to push the oil up about 8 feet from the gound into my barrel. for a cheep hose i just grabbed a $20 50ft garden hose. garden hoses fit on 3/4 pipe fittings so i just bought a couple of 1 to 3/4 adapters added a cord and had a cheep pump set up.

i still dont think you really need a pump to mix everything a few stires should be fine. might be a good idea to set up some valves so you can use your mixing pump to pump right into your truck.

i would also add air pressure or a pump to the first tank to push the oil through the filters. it can take crazy long to filter oil and can actaully stop with gravity feed where some pressure could keep things going.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online