wiring help

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you live in a reasonably-large metro area, I'd bet there is a decent sized electronic supply store that will have a variety of resistors. Here in Los Angeles, there is a place called Fry's that sells all sorts of stuff like this. I'm sure in Kansas, there is a place that is similar.

Recently I had to buy some resistors to do a voltmeter mod on my Auber Gauge, and I bought a package of resistors, because buying them one at a time is expensive. So now I have something like 80 extras. Oh well.

I read over that PDF in your link for the second option, and you need a 22k ohm resistor. The author neglected to indicate what wattage is required for that resistor. When you shop for resistors, you will need to determine what wattage it is rated for.

If you don't have an electronic supply store near you, you can buy all this stuff online. there are hundreds of online stores that sell this stuff, but its going to be hard to find parts that are not just more Chinese junk.

As for wiring them in, if I'm not soldering them into a control board, I'm usually soldering them to a wires, then painting the exposed wires with liquid electrical tape:
You must be registered for see images

I use a soldering gun like this:

You must be registered for see images

You can't just crimp the resistor on like regular automotive wires. The resistor's wires are just too thin. You need to solder it to something like wires or a board otherwise it will just slip apart or break.

If you don't have a soldering gun, you could try some screw-type terminal blocks, but I've never used anything like that on an automotive application, nor for a lone resistor. I'd insist on soldering it, because the vibration of the engine would undo any screw-type or crimp-type connection on such a small wire.

HTH