Wiring connected smoking from glow plugs running

Brandon Crislip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay so I put the new ignition switch in, got the fuse link bypassed, went to start, and the Auld battery s is fully charged but evidently it didn't hold enough charge. They are very old batteries from January 2011 so I took them to the parts store and they are bad This wiring harness on the was smoking could this be draining the batteries instantly? The key works now everything that has to do with the key is alive online before the fuse link but it will not attempt to start. I went and got some newly used batteries from Spaldings put them on today finally and the same thing happened the batteries would not have the charge to turn it over could it be because of the smoking it looks like there's loose wires and this connection looks like it has melted a little bit from overtime. What are your thoughts. I'm charging the batteries that I got the other day and maybe they just didn't have full charges other than that I don't know

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My thoughts are I've seen that enough that I put a large (200amp) fuse inline and ran 4ga cable from the battery to the glow plug controller. Those wires get too hot for my taste so I just got rid of them.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That plug melting is a common problem. Those two large yellow wires are the ones that carry the very high amperage of the glowplugs, and that plug connection can't handle it(factory snafu). I would leave all the small wires alone in the plugs, but cut the large yellow wires and connect them by another means. I would still use a connector, only larger/better. It's handy to be able to disconnect these wires when you do work on the engine and need to get them out of the way. I went the cheap route and crimped 4 ring connectors on the cut yellow wires, and then used little bolts and connected them that way. They also make nice heavy duty connectors you can use if you want to spend some money. Your plug looks like it is in still good enough shape like mine was, and you can just leave the little wires in the plugs and still use the plug to disconnect them.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It can absolutely be killing it. Google "parasitic draw." Bleepinjeep has a pretty good video about it on youtube. I've suffered from this before... It can be ANNOYING to track down.

Brandon Crislip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow thanks that helps alot@! Ŕedoing those two yellows will be so much easier than redoing the whole thing!!!

Brandon Crislip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna hook everything back up tomorrow after charging the Spaldings batteries and hopefully they were just low