Wiper leaves a spot right in my view

Cskaggs2

Reaction score
Anyone dealt with driver wiper that doesn’t clean a spot right in front of your view? I’ve tried to a new blade with no luck. Truck is a 1994 IDI. Wondering if it is the windshield.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Maybe you got a bad blade? Replacing them has always solved it for me.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a windshield replaced years ago that had a flat spot right in front of the driver's line of vision. Drove me nuts. Eventually I bent the wiper arm to make more pressure against the windshield, combined with better wipers and it only shows up at 75mph.

So it's totally a thing, just turn the wipers on low and stand to the side you can see where the blade isn't touching. At least I could.

I'm kind of ashamed to say I've never replaced that windshield yet... it's only been over 13 years!

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
Have the same problem on the 02 dodge, running trico neoform beam blades seems to solve the problem

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
The other one that is also anoying, the wiper that wipes clean one way, and leaves a blur when going the opposite way!

flyarmyguns

Reaction score
Ugg! My 94 IDI windshield wipers do the exact same thing. Drives me nuts too. I once tried to reshaped the wiper with a heat gun to no avail. I ended up trying a few blades from Autozone and finally went with the flimsiest ones on the shelf and still have the same issue. Glad it never rains in Southern California.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always try to replace the blades just before winter rains hit. They have been getting cooked in the desert sun.
I have had them wipe clean one way and chatter or streak the other way.
I have bought the expensive one`s before, but last year bought the cheap Walmart one`s, and they worked great. Go figure.

I remember as a kid my day always had a bag of Bull Duram Roll your own tobacco hanging on the Brake release. When the window got all streaked from the road grime, he would wipe the window when wet, and it cut the crap.
So you chewers, just shoot a mouth full on the window should do the trick. :rotflmao

Goat

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone dealt with driver wiper that doesn’t clean a spot right in front of your view? I’ve tried to a new blade with no luck. Truck is a 1994 IDI. Wondering if it is the windshield.
My 89 does the same thing. I am pretty sure it's a defect in the windshield, but I have never replaced it. The only other thing I haven't tried yet is replacing the heavy spring at the bottom of the arm. But it doesn't look like much fun to replace.

On the other guys chattering problem, that is caused because your wiper blade is not flopping over. It's supposed to bend and flop over each time it changes direction. Problem is, when it sits at the bottom in the park position, it sits for long periods bent up. It gets permanently bent that way, so when you go to use it, instead of bending the other way it's stuck, so it chatters one way and works the other way. New blades will fix that problem.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rain-ex, I just remembered it. I apply it when I hear it is going to rain, stuff really works. Put it on the side windows also and rear window on a car. Will have reapply it to the windshield periodically. I redo it between storms, as traffic throws crap back it will wear off.

It really helps at night on the R/R passenger window when looking to see if it is clear, you won`t have the water drops reflecting the light.

Glad this Wiper topic came up, good reminder to pick up a set today as Iam running around.
And it is always an IQ test to figure out how the dang things go on the wiper arms. It`s sort of, one size fits all with the plastic doo dads that come with them.
The old days you just bought the rubber insert, and slid it on.

Goat

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only other thing I haven't tried yet is replacing the heavy spring at the bottom of the arm. But it doesn't look like much fun to replace.

Pop the wiper arm off and bend it just a hair more. If you look closely there's already a bend in the flat part. Mine was barely touching the window and just bending that a little bit more fixed my issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online