Winter Meet

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm going to put together a meet in Ohio. I'm looking at places near Columbus, or just east of there. I've contacted three places to see about the facilities, banquet room, pool, etc. I've also contacted the Inn at Hocking College to see if they can give us rates to make the extra 60 mile drive worth while. I work for Hocking College, so I may be able to get a good deal.

Dates are February 5 through 7 (Friday to Sunday) but I'm sure some will come and go at different times. Just wanted to have a get together, low key, relaxing weekend. Was planning a pot luck type meal probably Saturday night. I'll provide the meat (was thinking grilled pork ****, a slow cooked beef roast and maybe some wild game type stuff). I have plastic dinner ware, paper plates, etc. that we can use as well. (I have a big cookout, bonfire, party every year, so I keep this stuff on hand).

I'll post more information about the where as soon as I find a nice place that isn't outrageously expensive and has the ammenities we desire. Hopefully in the next couple days.

Last edited:

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
The Inn at Hocking College gave me a great price, $55 per night, which includes the pool/rec center passes, should be no problem using a conference room for our get together meal, etc. The rec center is at the college about a mile away, there is the bike/walking path right next to the Inn, etc. Normal rates are around $100, so it's a pretty good deal. They have a dining room area on site that is staffed by the Hocking College (Nationally recognized and National title holding) culinary staff, food is excellent and VERY affordable, etc.

I'm still checking into places close to Columbus, but thought I would put this out there to see if it is workable. It's about 60 miles south of Columbus and maybe farther than most want to drive.

Rooms require a credit card to reserve, but you aren't charged until you check in, so that helps get past the expense pre-holiday.

Give me some feedback...PLEASE! :)

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
you name the place and we will be there, 60 miles one way or another doesnt matter to me im not gonna judge weather I come or not based on the location or how many miles it is.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this going to replace the Angola gathering? I'm not sure where this place is but if my weekends open I can probibly make it, sounds like about 2.5hrs from me

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope I can make it! I live about an 45 min-1 hr. away from Hocking College, and I haave a couple buddies going to school there. I'm going to school in Lima, but I might just have to come home that weekend and pay y'all a visit.
This is being held at Hocking College right?

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Is this going to replace the Angola gathering? I'm not sure where this place is but if my weekends open I can probibly make it, sounds like about 2.5hrs from me

For this year, Travis is busy with getting set up for work, etc. Next year, he can decide what to do, etc. I've wanted to have something here for a couple years, and just decided it's time to stop thinking about it and do it.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I hope I can make it! I live about an 45 min-1 hr. away from Hocking College, and I haave a couple buddies going to school there. I'm going to school in Lima, but I might just have to come home that weekend and pay y'all a visit.
This is being held at Hocking College right?

It would look as if everyone thus far is willing to come there. I've already got the ok from the Inn at Hocking College, just wanted to make sure the extra 60 miles doesn't kill it for everyone. I think the difference in room rate from what I'm getting in the Columbus area, would probably pay for the fuel. I went and checked out a couple yesterday in Columbus and they are 85 or so and I'd honestly feel bad inviting people to them. The ones that are decent are more in the $100 room rate, with pool, meeting area, etc. but I've not gotten a quote based on a larger number of people from any of them either. My mother helps out at the Inn at Hocking College, so it was pretty easy to get a deal there, plus we both work for Hocking College.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Scott,

The Inn deal sounds good to me. If time and money allows we will plan on being there.... it is only a bouple of hours for us either way....... Keep us posted......

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Scott post up the phone number of where I call... I will be off the weekend of the gathering... me wants to go but not sure where to call..... also give me a call if'n ya get a chance my cell is listed in the admin\mod contact list.... I can't do pm's well on mobile acess

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Ok guys, just met with the manager of the Inn. I've called all around and can't find anything close. I'm going to reserve a room at the college for the carry in as the Inn wants to cater everything from the culinary department. Said that would be like $16 per person.

So, the phone number is 740-753-3531 and tell them you are with the Oilburners group setup by Scott Elliott. They should have everything ready to go in a day or so. $55 per night was the rate quoted, I said some may want to come Friday and leave Sunday (2 nights) and some might only stay Saturday night. If anyone wants more time there, let me know, I'll make sure we can get the same rate for more nights.

The address is - 15770 State Route 691 Nelsonville, OH 45764

Here is a little information:
You must be registered for see images

Hocking College owns and operates (with the assistance of students) its own full-service hotel. Hocking College students work in the hotel to gain real-world experience in the hospitality industry under the supervision of a trained staff of faculty and professionals in the industry. Our facility features:
  • State-of-the-art culinary laboratories including
    • Kitchen stadium
    • Chocolate lab
    • Pastry kitchen and more
  • Conference & banquet facility
  • 42 guest rooms
  • Full-service restaurant & lounge
I also picked up a visitors guide while I was there, I'll scan some stuff and post it as I can. Athens, Ohio is about 15 minutes south of The Inn, Nelsonville has some fast food places, a park, etc. and it's about 3 miles from the Inn.

Sorry it took a minute to get this posted, I didn't forget, just wasn't getting much cooperation from places near Columbus and still never found any wanting to give us a good rate.

Scott

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
;Sweet I got my reservations set for both nights ( 2-5-10 and 2-6-10). Spoke with at Matt at Hocking Collage Inn and I'm packing my speedo as I type hee hee hee.....