Windsor factory aluminium heads?

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
I'm considering building a propane only 351w and have been looking at aluminium heads, were they ever offered from the factory?

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
NO. never offered from the factory. You could get GT-40 heads though from a 1st gen lightning or a later 5.0 explorer

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
thanks, i'm looking to build a high compression engine to take advantage of propane's 104 octane and I have read aluminum is more stable, less prone to detonation, I have recently found a couple books on building propane engines so I'll order them and see what they say.

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the explorer heads are GT-40p's, and regular headers wont fit becouse of the spark plug angle. They realy are'nt worth the hassle, i have two sets of them and will probly never use them, just more bs than they are worth. Patriot performance makes complete aluminum heads for around a grand, and they are good heads made and assembled in the USA..

Last edited:

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also a good bet is to look for a 1969 351w 4v engine, they are 290hp and 385lbs from the factory with 11:1 slugs and have realy good heads. I just picked one up a few months back from a 69 mustang for 200 bucks, probly gonna go in a future mustang build...

Samickguy15

Windsor Collector
Reaction score
The GT-40P header clearance issue is only half true. The plug clearance is less than desired, but all of the different SBF headers I have sitting around will clear, they just require a combination of angled and straight wires. Insulators couldn't hurt either.

The '70 Windsor heads would be a better choice if you're porting them, but the 40P's flow the best in the bone stock arena.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
The GT40 heads on the Gen 1 Lightning are cast iron, so you can cut that out of your search. The later model 5.0 explorers did have aluminum heads though.

Reaction score
If you want a high compresion motor please don't use aluminum. Look into Windsor Sr heads I had a 90 mustang I built the motor on and put Windsor srs on it with 11-1 compresion and never had one problem with that car. I sold it cause some jack ass stole and I got it back with lots of missing body and interior parts. Dumb ***** left the drive rain alone.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the explorer heads are GT-40p's, and regular headers wont fit becouse of the spark plug angle. They realy are'nt worth the hassle, i have two sets of them and will probly never use them, just more bs than they are worth. Patriot performance makes complete aluminum heads for around a grand, and they are good heads made and assembled in the USA..

Partially correct on that! Short Accel plugs will allow many headers to fit, I have done a few of these swaps and the same headers fit from E7TE stock heads.

Some people just cant put parts together because they did not fit perfect the first time...

Javier

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online