Windshield wiper governor

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
So I have replaced my windshield wiper governor a few times with pick n pull governors as no one at parts stores has them (obsolete) and I can't seem to find them online for the bricknose. My truck is a 91. My wipers will work, and then start jumping around a bit after running a while, and then quit working altogether. Does someone know of a way to upgrade this to newer model so that j have a system that I can still get parts for?

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was having problems with mine in my 86 and I pulled the switch out of the dash and sprayed it down really good with lsd noflash an haven't had a issue for a few years

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
I have replaced the switch entirely. No change. Replaced the windshield wiper motor and no change. And it's the black box I thing the governor that is the issue. As soon as the wipers stop for no reason or start jumping the box clicks. It's the small black box behind the switch inside the dash to the left of the fuse box. One small bolt holds it and that bolt is right above the parking brake release

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I chased a wiper issue in a brick once and it ended up being a poor ground for the switch. I spliced an extra ground in from the firewall and it worked properly and quicker than ever. Something to check

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
I have tried splicing the ground directly to the negative post with same results. Works for a bit, then it acts up, then quits

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does the same thing and exact behavior you described. Dont know why yet either.

Another interesting thing, once it starts doing it, if you switch it off for 10 seconds or so you get a few good wipes and then it dies again. But doesn't last as long as the first wiping interval before it acts up.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have replaced my windshield wiper governor a few times with pick n pull governors as no one at parts stores has them (obsolete) and I can't seem to find them online for the bricknose. My truck is a 91. My wipers will work, and then start jumping around a bit after running a while, and then quit working altogether. Does someone know of a way to upgrade this to newer model so that j have a system that I can still get parts for?
Inside the black box is a circuit board with some really basic circuits on it(good thing or I'd be sunk!), and across the middle is a large track that ends up burning out. Re-soldering this track will fix it for a while. I ended up having to re-solder 2 or 3 times and burned up the track cause I'm lame. A permanent fix for me was soldering in a small wire from terminal to terminal and I have had no issues since, been about 5 years I think.

The "reason" it fails is related to the parking brake pedal slamming into the dash in that area when the brake is released. Slowing the pedal with a foot will also ensure long life on the wiper box.
Happy wrenching! Er, soldering!

-Joshua

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Mine does the same thing and exact behavior you described. Dont know why yet either.

Another interesting thing, once it starts doing it, if you switch it off for 10 seconds or so you get a few good wipes and then it dies again. But doesn't last as long as the first wiping interval before it acts up.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Exactly!

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Inside the black box is a circuit board with some really basic circuits on it(good thing or I'd be sunk!), and across the middle is a large track that ends up burning out. Re-soldering this track will fix it for a while. I ended up having to re-solder 2 or 3 times and burned up the track cause I'm lame. A permanent fix for me was soldering in a small wire from terminal to terminal and I have had no issues since, been about 5 years I think.

The "reason" it fails is related to the parking brake pedal slamming into the dash in that area when the brake is released. Slowing the pedal with a foot will also ensure long life on the wiper box.
Happy wrenching! Er, soldering!

-Joshua
I did open the box and seen no obvious burning or soldering that had shook loose but have not tried the terminal to terminal yet. Would u have a pick or link to a write up? I have almost zero wiring skill and I can weld okish but soldering, well, if I see what needs done a small fee to a bud of mine can get him going. Lol. :cheers:
Thanks for the tip bud!

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like a good write up here, post #7:
https://www.f150forum.com/f10/89-f150-wiper-problems-13588/

Sorry no pictures. I looked for 15 minutes and all the good ones got lost on photobucket from other peoples write ups.

If your track is good on the top side just hit every connection on the bottom of the board with the iron until it remelts, curing any cracks. Should do the trick.

Edit:
Heres a thread, post #14 has a few pictures.
https://www.fullsizebronco.com/foru...-intermittent-type.html#/topics/136770?page=2

Last edited:

Robm45497

Reaction score
I had problems with my wipers,they would work good on the higher delay settings but on the lower they would work and then stop or stop mid wipe and not continue. I took the steering wheel control switch apart and cleaned and die electric greased(no change) i then pulled the wiper relay by the glove box and cleaned and greased (a little better but not much) i then pulled the cover off the wiper motor (i was able to leave the motor in place) and cleaned and greased the contacts and it worked like it was brand new. It has worked for over a year. I was about to by a new relay because i had heard the same contact click under the dash. I was almost ready to spend the money. I did find this that is affordable if anyone needs it.
https://shop.broncograveyard.com/92-96-Wiper-Relay/productinfo/35216/