Will my dana 44 hold up to a 7.3

19684x4

Reaction score
I have a 1968 4x4 F-250 that i plan on putting a 7.3 idi in. I was wanting to know if any one is using this axle with that motor. I am getting a complete 1988 F-350 for this swap so i can use that front axle which is a dana 50 i think i have not actually looked to make sure. the reason i want to keep the d44 is because it has 4.56 gears and the closed knuckle ends. This truck is used as a feed truck i oklahoma so it spends more time off the road at slow speeds.

bigtex

trial and error
Reaction score
It'll live, just dont push it. The dana 44 is a 1/2 ton axle, with the 8 lug outers, it"s a 3/4 ton.

19684x4

Reaction score
The more i think will go ahead and swap them out. I want it to be dependable. The one off the f-350 does have 4.10 gears not as low as what i have but still good. thanks for the input.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i would keep the axle that is in their, you are talking about a straight axle in the 68 vs a twin traction beam setup. most people are not a big fan of the TTB setup from the factory let alone a retrofit. you can truss the axle to help with the weight but i would still be worried about your closed knuckle beeing the weak fuse in that drive line.

if you want to upgrade i would find another straight axle, a D60 would be optimal but $$$ because everyone wants one.

Corey is right though, the early diesels came from the factory with D44's.

19684x4

Reaction score
Since i bought the hole 1988 one ton i have its axle. the cab is junk and the frame is broke but the drive train is good. its gear ratio is 4.10 not as low as the dana 44 but still ok i would have to change the spring location to use it. if i could make it a coil over front suspention with out spending a ton that would be great. My dana 44 came off my dads 1967 250 that had a 428 in it. i imagin the wieght is just a little less the the 7.3. he has broke a spindle on it befor. my main reason for keeping the 44 is for its 4.56 gears.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know, those 44's are a lot tougher than most people give them credit for.

Besides the TTB swap would require quite a bit of changing out. If you are going that route you may as well shoot the monkey and.put a Dana 60 in instead. But my experiences with Dana 44's carrying a lot of weight and working ******* the farm have been VERY POSITIVE. Even with oversized tires.

19684x4

Reaction score
I have an 1981 f150 withe the ttb and would not put that on anything. I was talking about using the soild axle of the one ton parts truck. i was told it is a dana 50 i could be wrong i could only make out the g/r on the tag.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I've got a D44 that did have a 460 but now has a 6.9 AND I run a 7'6" Western snow plow hanging off the front. It'll hold.

perk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The axle from the 88 f350 should be a solid axle Dana 60. The pumpkin is in the wrong place to fit the older frames. If it is the ttb Dana 50, don't waste your time. Unless you abuse it ( wheelin', etc) it should be just fine.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a few D44s in the fleet with a couple of them under some pretty heavy loads, and have never had an issue with them under a diesel.