will an eaton transmission fit

Smokey73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been rolling an idea around in my head. I've got an older freightliner FL50 ofr 60, not sure which, with an old B-series cummins and an eaton 9 or 10 speed. I bought the truck wrecked, cheap. I'm thinking of putting the combo in my '92 F-350. I haven't done anything but think about it, as a matter of fact the freightliner is still at the wrecking yard and I haven't measured anything. Will it fit or even come close to fitting. I am prepared to do extensive frame work if it is called for.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Get your drawing board out.

It can be done, but it's not going to be easy. You will need air tanks to run the shifter high/low selector, air lines, make new crossmembers, driveshafts, maybe rear air ride?

You can pretty much do anything you want to; money, ability and tools are your only limits.

Smokey73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
other than the obvious such as that, mounts, crossmembers, drivesshafts and what not, is there anything major. I mean would I need to channel the frame rails or splice onto the big truck frame? Ability and tools are no problem, its going to be money and time that slow me down.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Honnestly, the Ford frames are about the toughest "small" truck frame you can get for these 1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. Take a good hard long look at a chevy or dodge frame of this timeframe and the ford wins hands down!

I think it will take the weight and handle it just fine, but you could save some trouble and do a slight body lift to help clear the transmission tunnel.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a number of guys putting 10 and 13 speed transmissions in their trucks lately. The ones that I have seen are Dodges, but there really wouldn't be much difference in a Ford. The biggest obstacle to making them fit is the floor pan. You will have to cut out your floor hump and rebuild it to fit over the trans.
Travis..

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like stated above, it has been done. But it also depends on which Eaton Fuller you have. The RT-6610 and RTO-6610's are the smaller of the 10 speeds. The others are monsters and may be more work to fit. But, you can do anything if you are determined to do so.

THIS GUY has put a FSO-6406 behind a 5.9 cummins in his Dodge.

Heath