Will 2 electric fuel pumps work?

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
ok the OBS PSD has a mechanical fuel pump too so no relay for it either. I've never seen a IDI with an electric pump of any kind stock that is. If you read the aplication on autozones site it says for gasoline applications on that relay you found. I know alot seem to like the electric pumps but I don't see any advantage to out weigh the hassle. I've changed IP, filters gallore, and the lift pump and never had an issue restarting the truck and it only takes about 20 minutes to change the pump and I'd probably still be running the original pump if I hadn't been chasing an air leak and thought it was the pump. If you want an electric pump with a back up I'd say just make everything easy to swap out an carry a spare in your truck cause one just riding around under your truck may not work by the time you need it anyway

discbrks

Reaction score
The reason I even started thinking about this is because I'm thinking of trying to run wmo/diesel 50/50. I figured with 2 pumps, I basically have two isolated fuel systems on the truck. If the rear "system" quits (I thought about using the rear tank for the wmo/diesel) for any reason, clogged filter or clogged pump, then I can flip the selector switch the the front "system" where I have 100% diesel.
I'm probably trying to re-invent the wheel... I tend to do that a lot

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think any scheme designed to overcome a failed pump is only making things more complicated and expensive than needed. Your mechanical pump, is probably no more reliable than a Holley Red, and while yes they have failed (for IcanFixall), by and large they have not. Most new vehicles being made today all have a single electric fuel pump (most in the tanks and extremely unservicable), and you don't hear about a lot of failures on those. I run WMO on the Moosestang pretty thick, and the Holley Red I have runs it just fine for over 2 years now. I think EZ's advice is probably the best. Just design your install to be servicable, and keep a spare behind the seat. Adding more plumbing, relays, wiring, hoses, and what not, only increases the likelyhood of having some kind of issue. I should know, I spent a good time on my back in a pool of diesel thanks to my over elaborations with the Moose Truck fixing a FSV that died. If you really want to improve your reliability, get rid of THAT thing. LOL (Ford did - that's why you can't get dual tanks on anything anymore)

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
will the system i just got done putting in my truck ha two pumps. one for the stock tanks right on front of the FSV and the other pump for my in bed tank. i aslo set up my relay to the second system on the inlet to the injection pump after the filters so it will purge quickly. so now i basically have two seperate fuel systems. sounds somewhat like what you want to do with just the stock tanks.

460429_freak

Crazy about diesels
Reaction score
I went eletric pump for the quick prime (if you run out of fuel) and the simplicity of knowing if the pump is working... but do not run a electric and manual pump together I did found out the hard way ... nice thin oil in the crankcase or should I say diesel in the crankcase..:eek:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online