Will 2 electric fuel pumps work?

discbrks

Reaction score
I was thinking of installing an electric fuel pump on my truck, but leaving the mech. lift pump on the motor as a backup. I hate to get stranded in the middle of BFE with no parts store in miles if the elec. pump failed. But instead of leaving the mech. pump attached for a backup, what about this idea: Install 2 elec. pumps - one for each tank. Wire them each to a separate relay that is triggered by the fuel selector switch. Basically, if I'm running on the front tank, the front elec. f/p is on while the rear is off - and vice versa. What do you guys think? Maybe it sounds a little overkill, but I think its better than me worrying that the elec. f/p is gonna quit. Give me some input.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year model truck do you have? I ask this because many trucks already come with in-tank pumps to assist the mechanical pump

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just checked and autozone lists a fuel pump relay for your truck

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought about this for my truck, I would run one pump as normal but then install a second one and T into the lines with a check valve on the "2nd" pump pressure side. I'd just use a toggle switch to change between them so you can still run off either tank.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
could i run a mechanical and a electric together or is that just not possible right now im haveing lift pump problems im running 75% wmo

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
if it is an IDI it is a mechanical pump. 94 was a special year where there were 3 diesels available a naturally aspirated IDI a turbo IDI and the first year of the powerstoke. that would be why a solenoid would be listed. i am not sure you want two pumps going, everyone takes out the lift pump if they put in a electric. (a big block cheby block off plate fits these engines)

i have heard of guys adding some valves around the stock lift pump to normally go around it but if the electric fails you can change a valve and be back. i wouldn't count on being able to pull fuel efficiently through a electric pump if it fails though.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
im not really concerned about running the stock pump in just probably going to pull it off anyway i was just wondering

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a 1990 superduty tow truck and it apparently has pusher pumps in the tank. If you don't have a pump setup as I have then I see no problem with you adding a 7-11 psi pump to assist your flow

tractorman86

Reaction score
definately take the mech. lift pump off i had one blow a bunch of fuel in the crank case of a 460 once.

discbrks

Reaction score
Yeah, my truck's an IDI - non-turbo. I know that there are NOT in-tank pumps on my truck. If I run 2 pumps, they would be wired completely separate of each other. So if I am running of the front tank, the front f/p would be on while the rear f/p is off. Thay way I'm not trying to push or pull fuel through an elec. f/p. It could be easily controlled by 2 individually wired relays (one for each pump) and the "trigger" wire for each relay can come from the tank selector switch. I think it would work flawlessly - but maybe there are issues I'm overlooking. Is a Facet pump strong enough to pump 50/50 diesel/wmo?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
why wouldent you use just one fuel pump right after the selector valve?

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it your system would work fine, but if you want to buy two pumps it would seem more painless to wire one of them after the stock valve and throw one behind the seat for a spare... it doesn't take but 10 minutes to swap one of those out on the side of the road, if that's what your concern is.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
If Your concern is reliability from the electric pump then make it simple, mount the two pumps on the frame use quick connectors and if one fails just change the fuel hoses from one pump to the other and keep on trucking.

I must say, the last pump I had on My truck was there for over 4 years and it had a very hard life with all the mixes I pumped through it. Never had a spare until now, next thing I will rebuild that pump and also keep it as a spare.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7