why two wheel drive trucks are usless...

IH_444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You just have to be skilled enough to not drive it where it's gonna get stuck.
True, but when your driveway / road are where you're gonna get stuck, you kinda have to drive thru it. I went 1 winter with a '73 2WD GMC, while I made it through a lot more than I expected it to, I will never do that again.

Heck, during a snowstorm a few months ago, I turned onto a blacktop, going about 20, in my '91 F150. It has fairly new Cooper AST's on it. I was in 4HI, it began slowing, I came to a stop, the snow was almost up to the ford emblem in the grille. I rocked it for about a minute, got out of my holes, back up about 100 feet, got up to about 30 and held it to the floor in 2nd, after about 1/2 mile I was finally in the clear. It was fun (for me anyway), but I'd have been screwed w/o 4x4.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Yeah in the morning i sometimes dont give a dern backing up and instead of doing a 8 point turn on the gravel i just back up into the yard. If it had rained within the past week i need 4wd to get me moving again. I have the skid marks to prove it too.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
For the DDC 4wd didn't do him much good :eek:

RUSS!!!!
:backoff:backoff

How dare you bogart my facebook pics!LOL

Well I guess the cats out of the bag.

Even tho Mater looks like an 86, he's actually a 2007.;Really

Gotta love built titles.
But yup he's rust free.;Sweet

So to defend myself, I went over to my parents and had discovered that my dad was having just as bad a day as I did.

He stripped out the splines on his snowblower so the nice guy I was I decided to plow his drive and nearly ran over my dad backing up as he was wearing a dark blue jumpsuit!:eek:

We got a dumping of 10" of heavy wet snow. Not the easiest to push around with an empty F-250.

Well I cleared the main drive then chose to clear a path to their barn.
This is where the night really went south.
The path has a slight slope and yup the snow was greasy. As soon as I pulled the blade up, I felt the truck slip a little, I started backing up and with L/S axles front and rear, Mater crab walked right into the pile of wet snow and beyond. Well trying to get the truck moving again, the plow brackets proceeded to act as an anchor and stuck firmly into the soft wet sand and down it went.

A little short fused from a very bad day at work didn't help matters much. I keep a shovel in the truck for such purposes of cleaning off the blade and anything else that may crop up.
I cleared out all of the snow from under the truck and tires and tried again. Only to dig deeper. By this time total frustration had kicked in and a few loud choice words I gave up and headed for the house. Left the keys in it and everything after digging 6" down into the dirt to get to the release pins for the plow.
I told my folks that if the neighbors asked about what had happened to just apologize for me and had mom take me and the kids home.

The next day it tok my buddies LS 9000 wrecker 2 different pulls and 30 minutes to get it dug out and was commended for such a fine job at burrying the evidence.
Due to the position of the truck, I had perfectly parallel parked it between a wood pile and the woods, so a sideways pull was needed to get some angle to get it out, in the process, the tires did get a little over extended and Mater is now slightly pigeon toed.
Oh well, more reason to finish rebuilding that light D44 front axle, unless I can score a D60.
That heavy Western and the 6.9 makes for too much weight on a stock 44 which originally had a 460 and beign worked hard.

Oh well, the plow is off the truck now hopefully for the rest of the year cause work in the shop has been great! Thanks Darrin!;Sweet

And to keep on title subject, yup 2 wheel drive diesels are worthless in my neck of the woods. Got more pics to show what they do to my yard.
4 IDI's running in the yard, quite the view!

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Well, this thread has gotten to be quite interesting to say the least. My brother just put together a truck thats a clone of yours and it pushes like a tractor. Seems like a natural 6.9 has just as much off idle torque as a PSD to me. I am quite sure that snow was HHEEEAAVVVYYY to get the best of you like that. 4x4's all the way:sly

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
My trucks two wheel drive for two major reasons.

1. SUBSTANTIALLY cheaper

2. TYPICALLY a 2WD of the same vintage is in better shape because Johnny Leadfoot didn't have it out bogging in the back 40 it's whole life.

X2, for the same money I got a much nicer truck, better mpg's, less moving parts. It's personal preference, and your location/lifestyle.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Around here 2WD works great, until you need to go up or down hills or around a curve LOL