Why the hate for Teflon tape?

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
I've never had any problems using it on plenty of engines. I do not use it for anything going into an oil passage though. Not sure why so many here are so vocal against it.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SIMPLE

It was designed for plumbing water lines in gardens and houses. It is just a LUBE not a sealant and there are plenty of LUBE/SEALANTs out there that work well in every environment we have on our trucks!

It gets cut/torn and so forth, and shreds into tiny particles than can and do over time accumulate in the various systems it's used to seal; be it hydraulics on farm equipment,,,I SO HATE THAT causes me all kinds of problems hunting that ***** down and clearing it out...fuel systems on trucks....I SO HATE THAT causes all kinds of problems especially if it gets into the IP, oiling systems, I SO HATE THAT, causes all kinds of issues gumming pumps and caught in small orfices/ports and so forth and if filter gets clogged you got that ***** going to bearings and other locations stacking up like a STOP LEAK for rads starving oiling systems...

Ya that's baaaaad *****^^^^ imagine if some ******** used it on aircraft and it caused a problem that causes a crash...not like you can pull over to side of road and stop...

I have personally seen TT in carburetors and oiling systems and hydraulic systems and the bottom line is from personal experiences and those of others I won't use it in my truck.

Thats how I roll!

Al

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have used it on my oil systems and fuel systems. But way back then I did not know any better. I learned fast. If you going to use it do not run it down to the end of the threads. Leave the first 2 threads clean. That way it may not get stuck in the system if it migrates.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gary no matter how far UP the threads you start it...when you remove the fitting and subsequently re-install it you turn in the crap more and more every time...and adding more tape each time...hmm...just stacks up bad ...

I doubt it's a good thing...

SkipBurney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has been totally outlawed in the nuclear power industry as well as the Naval Nuclear Propulsion Program. I have seen that stuff in some of the damnedest places you could ever imagine. It may work well on water lines and fittings in homes but I don`t use it anywhere else

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flew to chicago once while working for Evergreen to see why a new perkins would not run correctly, determined it was the pump and or injectors, pulled them and the shop found tape bits in both. the mechanic used it on the tank to transfer pump fittings and it migrated. not good.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pipe dope, Avaition gasket sealant, Loc-tite makes a wonderful hydrualic and pnumatic thread sealant. anything but tape, i have used it but i do not like it. Never have to worry about putting paste on the threads backwards and winding off as the fitting gets tighter

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well most anything but teflon tape. Personally I like permatex aviation cement. It comes as a brownish black liquid and the small white bottle with the blue writing on it can be found most anywhere. Even has a brush built into the cap...:thumbsup::sly

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
Teflon tape, when used properly and in the right situations, is a wonderful product. Unfortunately, very few of those situations are found on our trucks.

I prefer the paste version, like Rectorseal or Great White.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
....I prefer the paste version, like Rectorseal or Great White.

OMG I had to soooo....read that twice, then a third time....and I'm still aghast and well....I'm not going to say much cause it's just toooooo dangerous for me to do so...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726