why OBS clutch pedal brackets suck.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
that is the exact culprit for wobbling OBS pedals.
it's not a fun job to do but not the end of the world either. it took me a little longer due to communications equipment and lighting relays crammed under the dash.

By the looks of those teardown pics, I would be wise to wait until I have a fresh steering column in hand to swap out before staring in on that project.
Thanks

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
thanks for the link and part number Calvin. When I go back to work this will be one of the things on my to do list

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if a tube welded into the bracket to better support the plastic bushings would be in order here, perhaps it's something to look into.

I'll be looking at a pedal assembly in next day or two and seeing what can be done to help that setup out some!

If the idea of a tube welded into place looks feasible I'll do some measurements and post here ASAP as I need to prep for my OBS cab swap and dont want any issues once it is installed. I want a clean fresh system that will last for years.

Al

camozzi2009

Blue oval
Reaction score
I wish i would have bought the pedal assembly.
For starters i like my wear go to far. Literally couldn't start the truck.

The safety switch wouldnt engage because the plastic groumet was shot. The bracket was worn that the groumet sits in that attatches to the rod(worn) that goes to the clutch slave cyclinder. Had to beat off the bracket that attatches to the petal assembly shaft. Which gets pressed on by the tightining nut. That kind off force i believe is why my pedals are now loose.

It took several hours. It was my first time. Its still not right. Don't cut corners thats my advice.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How hard is it to change out that pedal assembly as in , how much time spent contorting oneself under the dash, because I don't bend very well any more.
My 92 has started a bit where both pedals start wobling a tad when I go for the clutch and brake at the same time. I think it's fair to assume that the goodies towcat pictured are the culprits .

When I swapped in my zf, it took me about 45 minutes or so to swap the pedal assembly. Using air tools of course. Not too bad of a job.

zebrabeefj40

Reaction score
Will the pedal assembly come out without pulling the steering column? I have the bushing set lying on the table but have not crawled under the dash to really study the job yet. I'm also thinking along the lines of riotwarrier in that some more material needs to be added to the pedal bracket. Guess I'll know what I gotta do once I have it out on the shop floor.

Thanks,
Nick

sweet66monza

Reaction score
I just rebuilt mine earlier today. Took under 2 hrs outside in the cold with warm up breaks.

The column does need to be dropped out, but I was able to leave mine wired in. Pulling the column was pretty easy actually. Pull one of the bolts on the steering shaft u joint, remove lower dash portion (2 screws), and four nuts holdsing the column up. set it on the seat.

Mine didnt have any wear in the bracket, but the collar had broken loose and started working the hole a bit. I just found center and welded it back in place. No more shifting trouble!

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know what would be cool? If somebody decided to truly "rebuild" pedal assemblies, with known upgrades (for instance, I put brass bushings in place of the plastic ones) and then sold them on an exchange basis. With all the folks out there converting auto's and/or running high mileage IDIs, I bet you could sell a couple of them (hint, hint.....)

Just my .02 worth, and by the way: these are all good writeups with great documentation ;Sweet