Why No Turbo Whistle

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
is that even with the stock DP?

i even ran my truck with the open DP and it was still no whistle, although that was factory DP and with old turbo.

can you get a vid of yours subway?

yup, stock crushed down pipe, i will try getting a video. i know how to take one just have to figure out how to post one up tonight.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Turbo whistling has more to do with what style intake is attached than the exhaust.

Some turbos come equipped with silencer rings that stop the whistle; 1991.5-1993 Dodge/Cummins Holsets for example.

It also has a lot to do with how free the turbine spins and how easily it coasts when no exhaust is driving it.

I relocated my turbo and had to re-clock it.

It hadn't been apart since 1989.

The simple act of knocking it apart, getting rid of a ton of rust-scale, anti-siezing everything, clocking, and re-assembly yielded a nice whistle that I hadn't heard in years. :)

the first vid(the photobucket one) has the SAME intake system i do.

bobracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the stock turbo setup with a modified stock downpipe patched into the stock N/A exhaust, I couldn't hear any turbo whistle without a snorkel on the air box. After putting the stock snorkel on the air box, I get just barely a whistle, very similar to what is describle in the first post.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Restrictive intake or exhaust dont help. Low rated or dirty airfilter, sooted up muffler or restrictive exhaust. Some turbos whistle more than others, and a damaged impeller will whistle more at the risk of blowing apart.

My banks nonwg barely whistled until i replaced the intake unit with a homebuilt version. Now it whistlrs pretty good and boosts up to 7psi, should be better when i finish the new aluminum pipe

Make sure it spins freely. Might have a coked bearing, etc.

Black dawg

Reaction score
my set up is similar to agnems set up, and whisltle is obnoxious at times. Even with stock aibox and small exhaust with muffler, my turbo was audible.

94iditurbo73, how much boost is yours making, and how quickly?

Reaction score
Man, I can tell this site is gonna be a bad influence on me. All I've been able to think about all day is how to convince the wife I need a new exhaust.....

Mike

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cut the muffler and cat out if it has one straight 3.5 in exhaust and you will be good cheap too.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
94iditurbo73, how much boost is yours making, and how quickly?

right now if i get on it i max out at about 6psi. still leaking some at up pipe.

driving civilized it hardly sees 5psi and does not rise all that quick.

BTW, thanks for all the input guys. i have been wanting to upgrade the intake, but the truck keeps throwing just one more thing at me.

Black dawg

Reaction score
right now if i get on it i max out at about 6psi. still leaking some at up pipe.

driving civilized it hardly sees 5psi and does not rise all that quick.

BTW, thanks for all the input guys. i have been wanting to upgrade the intake, but the truck keeps throwing just one more thing at me.

How is your pump set? Isnt stock wastegate setting like 7psi?? boost should come up quick with that turbo. If you arent spinning the turbo very fast you probably wont hear it.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
IP is up roughly 2.5 flats. i am thinking about maxing it out.

WG has been adjusted some but i am not pushing enough fuel to hit WG setting.

i will take a vid tomorrow of my boost gauge.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can never get used to the low boost PSIs related to the IDI set-ups.

When my truck still had the 6.9, my old Hypermax, exactly like the one in Mel's picture, would easily push the boost needle above 15-PSI

The 6BT can fast-idle and show 5-PSI, with 40-PSI easily acheivable, easy enough that three times I have blown loose a boot; and, my engine is quite tame compared to most.

Are the IDI turbos somewhat smaller or do they just not spool with as much authority ??

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Smaller turbos = less boost, also has to do with the exhaust flow, faster/more exhaust = more spool = more boost

My (assumed) 093 ATS with no downpipe has a nice whistle when you hit the gas (stock airbox for now), we'll see after I get the exhaust put on if it has any whistle or not (4" straight pipe w/ 3" down pipe)