Why is my timing so retarded?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless your IP gear is molested, I can tell by the way the pump is sitting that you are in no danger. Timing is everything though for maximum power and economy. It's a best practice to check it every 25,000 miles, so get the tools and learn how to use them.

clthorn

Reaction score
Just wanted to update everyone. I spoke with Gary and I'm going to rent the tool. Now wound it be worth it to maybe go one or two degree more than the 9.5° I've read. And also its strange that it doesn't need more of an advance than that. I had a 1993 D350 and had it all hopped up and way more money in it than I should have but I believe my initial timing was somewhere around 16-18° and my dynamic was probably 40° with the timing device. I'm not sure though a ve pump has the external timing marks and that's what I used plus I skipped a tooth to the advanced side on the gear

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the considered safe max is, but if you advance too far you will start eating glow plugs. Best thing to do (and Gary probably told you this) is to rent the meter, set it to 3 or so different timings and make alignment marks for those timings and just play with it until you find the one you like that gives you the best balance of power and EGT's etc.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is NO two 7.3 or 6.9 diesel engines that are alike as far as timing setting being correct for your engine. The timing degrees suggested is just a starting point so the engine will run pretty efficiently, normally between 8.5 and 11.5. You would have to Dyno an engine to obtain the max efficient timing setting. Injector equalization of POP PSI is a big factor, also the POP PSI setting, whether it's an NA or turbo.

clthorn

Reaction score
I plan on seeing what it is first. Then turn the fuel up slightly and adjust the timing so it runs clean with the added fuel.

clthorn

Reaction score
Just an update for those wondering. I received the timing meter yesterday the kit was very neat and organized with everything you need including the wrench and pump rotating tool. It was worth every penny to rent!! I found out @2000rpm my timing was at 3.5° so the top marks on the pump that eagle eye (haha) pointed out where in fact the correct set. I'm sure a used pump and 253,*** miles had something to do with the slack in timing. I adjusted, checks and punched a new mark in my housing. Now given that I also found the parking brake cable on the passenger side was partialy hung and I fixed that to...HOLY CRAP this thing moves now. Previously 1/2 throttle was the bare minimum for 70mph now its like the truck is trying to set a new land speed record at half throttle. Its astonishing how little throttle it takes to get this hog up and down the road. I'm anxious to see how my fuel economy improves. Thanks everyone for your help!!

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:cheers:
attachment.php

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 49
  • index.png
    index.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 36

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Reports like this makes me feel good knowing this meter rental program works. Heres hoping this program can help others as much as it has helped you.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We did do some dyno experimentation at the 10th annual IDI Weekend, and we firmly concluded that 8.0 to 9.5 was the sweet spot for timing. Any more or any less, and you loose power. This was with standard #2 diesel fuel and no additives, at 80 degrees air temp on a Dynomax wheel. While each IDI may be slightly difference, the fuel and the physics are the same for all, so I doubt any significant variance would be found, assuming the pump and injectors are in spec.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.