Why & How Did You Get Here.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So as this year ends and another year begins I wonder how many of you got to this forum.. For me I was invited here by towcat years ago. I was a member of the first Ford Truck Site and got an email from him asking...."Would you like to test the waters over here".. So I found the waters to be much more inviting than where I was and moved over. For about a year I stayed in touch with both forums contributatiing to both... Til one day I was posting about freeze plugs and tools for that when a member over there trumpted up that he had been doing them for many years with two hammers banging them in place with no returns....:eek: First off I would never use a hammer on another hammer and doing it like he felt was "good enough". Sure its good enough if... You know what your doing but... How many of us knew the problems with freeze plugs in these engines. I learned the hard way twice. One time I lost a 5200 mile rebuild and the second time I had the plugs installed with the tool I didn't use any sealant.. So they leaked once again but I caught that problem I made. Each of the other 2 times I air tested the block to 30 lbs with the special block off plates I made for doing this. They never showed a leak even with Snook Leak Detecter used.. That stuff is great for finding the smallest leaker. So I left the other site never to return to this day. Am I happy one person got under my skin.. Nope... I realize many from the former site came over here to so I feel I'm continuing to help those that want it. I get great satisfaction out of helping others. Praise is very hard for me to accept but I'm working on that... So heres to a great New Year and please post how you got to the fabulous site where members help members all the time... Not just when it feels good.

X-NRCan_IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pretty much just stumbled across it while doing some research about 2, maybe 3 yrs ago... I was looking to buy a diesel truck and based on the prices, information, and what was availlable in my area, I went with the IDI. Since then I joined OB due to the fact that this forum is highly active and there are lots of very knowledgeable IDI enthusiasts who are more than willing to share information with those who request it. I have not been disappointed ;Sweet

gandalf

Reaction score
I was on that same 'other site' (we'll call it Site X), and was becoming somewhat dissatisfied with some of the attitudes there. Then I started realizing that more and more of the better and more knowledgeable members were missing. It took me a while, but I found this forum, and moved over here. I'm much happier here, and have no regrets about leaving Site X. I found those missing members all here.;Sweet

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started back in the late 90's on Ford-diesel.com before it became The Diesel Stop.com. I had just bought my 89 crewcab and looking for advice. Then as everyone kept moving over here I finally switched over. I remember back when Mel bought the Lady Moose, I also remember when Argve used to own the Enterprise. I don't post a lot, but have done a lot of reading over the years.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a pic of Big Ed at Some guys shop think it was oh ya D&L auto sales on google Idi images so I thought hmmmm. Let's give him a call soon as I asked him if he owned big Ed I got a yes why? I explained the pic an darrin was like you can't even see my truck in that picture an I didn't know it was on google. I was like I can spot a good lookin truck tucked up behind anything lol. Darrin gave me Ron butts number an I called him out of know where talked about a month before he finally convinced me to join. I was just happy to know someone who knew so much as I had struggled for the last 2 years

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
I was board at college (short stay LOL) and was wanting to learn more about my engine after being told to get a ***-apart in it. A little digging and found most people thought this was the idi place

Last edited:

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I came here while I was researching waste motor oil and veg oil for my 6.5s. The gm following here is pretty slim but I have found alot of good info. We may not share the same chassis but we do share the same basic engine design.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Gary for that,

Well my journey here began with my choice of a diesel Bronco conversion and subsequent ...cliche.."Google search" gave me links to here to Mel's conversion of the Bronco he built. I posted ?'s and got answers, and PM's to Mel and after nearly a year of research and checking and decsion making I said YUP making a diesel Bronco!....That was six years ago or there bouts...

When I picked up my Bronco, I wanted to and still do create a diesel Bronco. My plans have gotten changed slightly as the superwifey has to be able to drive it so now I"m E4OD searching ..ugh...thus she WON"T have to use a clutch with a bad knee. I am still considering it with one ton running gear but maybe not, it just may become the car of our choice...rofl.

Having been here for 6 years, I've accrued many, many parts and some specialty tools and knowledge since becoming a member, though one thing far beyond that and far more important is I have gotten many new friends, some (I think 2) in 6 years I've met, and a great many of you I've yet to meet and would like to!

My enjoyment from being here; is being able to help others, creating pictutorials when I can, answering questions when I can, giving a little ;Poke to some in fun when I can and so much more.

That's about all I can say how I got here....

Thanks OB and members for this fantastic last year and my hats off to everyone and all the best in the new year!

Just sayin....

Al

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
I had actually already sold my IDI(though I still have a yard ornament 6.2). I was feeling nostalgic one day and missing the old diesel. Got surfing around on the internet reading about them(I really didn't know much about them while I owned it), and ended up here.

ah1988ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was recomended to come here by another member I met through buying parts on craigslist, I was over on FTE, but this site is a little faster moving and I belive it has more people who know these truck inside and out.

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the guy i bought my truck from told me to get on here for any info i needed.. and man am i glad he did.. woulda got rid of the truck by now had it not been for this site!!

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My story's not too different from Gary's and Ken's. I had joined Site X back in 2000. I didn't even own an International IDI then (I had an '80 IH Scout with a Nissan straight-6 IDI turbo diesel meant for a forklift), but I wanted to learn about them, so I spent a bunch of time pestering people on the IDI boards LOL

To make a long story short, like Ken, I had noticed Site X going downhill over the last couple of years I was there...the main issue being that the site admin treated the IDI crowd like they were third-rate, and then the owner appionted an admin to manage the IDI board who didn't give a rat's sternside about us but believed in following every rule strictly i.e. any thread that even went slightly off-topic got locked immediately, even if no one complained, and if someone posted something "off-topic" on the IDI board, he'd immediately move it to the off-topic forums which were dominated by the PSD guys. I had also started to notice that the "regulars" were posting less and less frequently...finally, in January 2005, Travis (argve) PM'ed me with the site URL. I came over immediately and haven't looked back ;Sweet

Happy New Year to all, and may 2013 rattle for everyone ;Sweet

Alan Slingsby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have to say this site has the best info and nice people ever wanted! I discovered this place last summer.hav done a lot of reading not knowing anything about my 6.9 idi or how to work on diesels.. Thanks to all that post info and happy new year!

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found this site a few years ago when I got my first diesel a 93 f350 cc dw with a five speed that was cavitated. Ididnt know that at the time so I was Google searching idi info and this site showed up. Been hanging around here since then

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online