Why did my nv5600 have catastrophic failure?

Swamp Donkey

Reaction score
On friday my truck will be @ the dealership for 3 weeks. Waiting for a new transmission.

My driving style consisted of always using 1st gear starts, never ever any speed shifting/racing/sled pullin/clutchless gear changes. Upshifted around 2000 rpm's and never lugged the engine.

The only thing I can think that killed my nv5600 is that I drove kinda slow. I drive around 300 km's a day and alot of that is at around 80 km/h. (50 mph.) That puts me @ around 1450 rpm. I know I said I did not lug my engine, but it seems fine running @ those speeds and rpm.

When it crapped out on me I was just driving and shifting like normal. Then when I tried to go into 5th it just started grinding. Never had a hard shift in any gear, even in 5th. So I figure something fell apart in there to go from nice normal shifting it's whole life to grinding every time going into 5th. Every other gear shifted fine even when I dropped it off @ the dealership.

The dealership tells me there is no estimated time of arival for a replacement transmission. 115,000 km's or 70,000 miles...........just around the end of warranty!

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow, theyre replacing a transmission completely instead of doing a simple repair...they can have it out, tore down and repaired in2 days tops. sounds like lazy mechanics to me.

58_Dodge

Proud hater of Ford
Reaction score
Yeah thats the trend with most mechanics. Nobody rebuilds anything anymore they just get a new one. :puke:

Swamp Donkey

Reaction score
It is still down..... I was under the impression that it was just the 5th gear synchro's. But what do I know! 3 weeks now going to be 4 this friday.

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
When I worked for a Ford dealer they would not let us tear a tranny down it was all R&R remove and replace. If it failed it was the rebuilders problem not ours. More cost effective. Less labor for the tech but it was great fro the dealership if the unit faild because they had nothing to pay out of pocket, the rebuilder had to pay the bill. Usally you could have the new unit in 1 or 2 days.

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
at the chrysler dealer i worked at, it was mandatory for a teardown. chrysler has an 80% policy. if it costs 80% or more of a reman unit,dealer cost, to repair the broken transmission, it gets r&r'ed, if its less than 80% of reman cost...it gets rebuilt in the shop.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Swamp Donkey said:
It is still down......

Hey SD... keep us posted would ya.? I know we're not the busiest 3rd gen forum on the net, but we still need to know what the hell is going on. :D

Swamp Donkey

Reaction score
It will be 5 weeks tommorow and I talked with the dealership again yesterday and there is still no hope in hell of getting a rebuilt nv5600 anytime soon. I think it is a plot and they are waiting for me to say screw it and trade it in on a new one. GAH!

rubberfish

Reaction score
5 weeks!!!!!!!:eek: You're up country somewhere,
aren't you, like ******** john area? I wonder if that's
part of it? Still doesn't explain things. It's not like
you're 400kms in the bush. 5 weeks, your a patient
man SD. I'd have come unglued on the service
manager a long time ago. I'd make his life miserable
if I had too, to get him to speed **** up.:angel:
He'd never want to see my ass again.:Sly

Swamp Donkey

Reaction score
Yes I do live in the Fort St John area...... My truck is @ the Dealership in Dawson. As for coming unglued, I am driving my 98 12v so my ******* are not all bunched up just yet!

WD40

Reaction score
7 weeks, Wow a good shop could have hand made all of the gears in that thing by now. If you drive as slow as you say you do it may not have been getting enough oil to 5th gear.
Swamp Donkey and I both have the same number of post now at 31.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
are there "lemmon laws" in the state you live in? I'd be looking into it if you do.
just re-read your first post. by the KM/H references you made, I would presume you are north of the 49th parallel. dunno if there are lemmon laws in Canada, if not, you are screwed...

Last edited: