why are these trucks so rare?

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see tons of gas burners around town but rarely do i see an idi. I remember working on them in the past. Now none to be found. Is it lack of knowledge people have about air leaks and return line caps? Scrapped over a bad injection pump?

Every time i see an older ford i look at the emblem on the front and all i see is "efi" which = gas burner

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know what you mean, I don't see too many around here in socal. I think there are people who have them, they just don't drive them much. I can't say that I drive mine that often. The interesting thing is around where I live they are rare enough that I recognize the same ones out and about, there are a few trucks that I see here and there, because I pay good attention.

Defrocked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yupp,rare for me to see one also! I see knucledragger's every now and then.....parked inside his business collecting dust:)

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here in southwest Virginia , there all over. What kills me is these trucks usually book around $1,100-$2,500, and you can't find one for less than $3,500-$4,000. Not to mention all of the diesel shops around here hear the word "diesel" and the average price of an IP is $600.00 for a bone stock rebuild. ....crazy

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see bout 50/50 idi's an efi's running around San Diego. Most are **** trucks that the Spanish use for land scap bis. Most f-super duty are parked or being sold. Btw 500-600 is about what anygood ip cost. There is a local shop that builds really nice turbo pumps. My 2 idi's are all I have to drive there on the road everyday, we'll at least one not both lol

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have only seen 3 around here in the last 6 months. Besides mine. One sits on main st and never moves.another was the one i posted about having no oil in it and the 3rd is a member here.

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also quit dealing with these people after I bought a set of injectors for $650.00 before I knew better. Although they were a good set , I bought a set from Pensacola diesel 6 years ago for $100.00 and I'm still running em today

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see very few in AZ. Like another said, I know the few that I see. There is one exact copy of my truck, and a few others, but it's a pity that I don't see more. A lot of people are amazed to learn mine is a Diesel, since they don't know that they made them that old. OBS Powerstrokes are surprisingly uncommon too here....

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I suppose now that they are getting old and often require some attention, they are "different" from the 302's that people are used to working on and folks may be out of touch with them so they get scraped for no good reasons like oil cooler failure, air intrusion, pumps etc.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
IDI's are all over the place out here. You can't look in any direction without seeing an 80-97 F-series.

There 'rare' IDI's around here are the ones that start this time of year without a healthy blast of ether :rotflmao

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Don't forget that they are all at least 20 years old. Not many murricans like to fiddle with old iron, no matter how durable it might be. We all like new shiny stuff, even if it is over priced and overloaded with gizmos.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Don't really see many 80-90 trucks in general around here. Most are F150s that I see but I do see an IDI every once in awhile.

Most vehicles in the salt belt rust out before they get very old.

Ive only ever seen one IDI in the junkyard though and it was in a international school bus.

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
I've noticed these with them

Older Diesel (eww omg, it belches smoke and it's underpowered blah blah)
Ford (eww, it's a ford! yep. it exists)
a 80's vehicle. (yep, that also. much like the whole diesel is terrible and causes cancer in 3rd world alien children crap, you also have people who loath 80's vehicles. Junkyards are full of them as a example. Some deserve to rot there, others don't)
Lack of pride in domestic production. You can stitch this all together for a idea of that...
Disposable Society. Why keep something working and running well, when you can throw it out and get another? The government (state/federal) also insures this, with forced retirement (cash for clunkers, CARB diesel hysteria, etc)

I wouldn't be surprised also if many of them are just dumped in barns, on properties, in fields, abandoned in garages, etc etc like the 57 belairs, ford t-birds, old chevrolet/dodge/ford truck iron, etc. Time will tell if people actually get a idea to go dig a 85 F250 or F350 out of a field and pour a bucket of restoration cash into it like a 57 belair or corvette...