Who says Motorcraft GP's dont swell?

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Checked for bad ones while I had the pump off and these 3 were bad. Not uncommon for my truck to melt one but all 3 rear ones on the passenger side this time.-cuss The one under the turbo was stuck but came out eventually.

Attachments

• 1125111625.jpg
    1125111625.jpg
    462.7 KB · Views: 71

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been nursing a bad IP with a fuel metering problem since the rally in Bowling Green KY. I burn out a couple plugs every few months, I think it has just been pouring fuel into the cylinders. I was only getting 7mpg! 1500*,15psi, and 230* for several miles at a time pulling my 5000lb camper through MI didnt do much for the GP life LOL
Its so bad now that trying to start it in the cold when its chugging and trying to fire, a little shot of starting fluid will put the flame out!
I swapped a good IP into it this weekend and it started right up with timing WAY off. I'm gonna set the timing and replace the starter again since it smoked priming the fuel system...

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who says Motorcraft GP's dont swell?

no one.all parts can fail.
but we know they have the lowest failure rate for doing so than any other plug.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here comes the Beru only crowd to the defense!
Yeah thats usually what happens LOL Its all I use anyway just thought some would like to see that they DO burn up just like the others, just not as often!
If thats the case , it's a wonder there aren't chunks of valves and piston crown melted off in there too

I cant say for sure on this engine, but the last one that I tore down that seen regular 1400+ temps didnt show any signs of melted parts. The way this one runs it wouldnt suprise me if there was some damage. When you push the limits, things can break, simple as that.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Yeah thats usually what happens LOL Its all I use anyway just thought some would like to see that they DO burn up just like the others, just not as often!

I cant say for sure on this engine, but the last one that I tore down that seen regular 1400+ temps didnt show any signs of melted parts. The way this one runs it wouldnt suprise me if there was some damage. When you push the limits, things can break, simple as that.

I know this one to be true, my **** is always broke, if its not one thing its another, im thinking about just turning everything to stock and saying hell with it :rotflmao haha that was a joke

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking it might be the advanced timing and high egts, but I'n NOT part of the Beru only crowd. I've heard of them failing too. I think most gp swelling is attributable to bad electronics, that having been said I wouldn't use autolites or champions since there have been way too many stories. Currently I have about 1/2 Berus and 1/2 Bosch/Uhaul plugs in my 6.9 with solid state controller. I'm not here to brag on the Bosch's, I'm doing an epxeriement. They all seem to be working fine and the oldest one has been in there since March. None of the Bosch's have had to be replaced and the truck still cycles normally and starts well cold. The Berus are very good though, up until recently, I still had a couple (and might still have one ZD-9 from my original set that I swapped over to the solid state system with in Oct 2004 and my controller is wired so that the plugs cycle every time the key is turned to the "on" position. If the Bosch's last like this, and come out easy when the time comes, I'll say they are as good in my application. So far I'm not going to say that.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Bosch and Beru are both made in Germany at the same facility. They do fail I burn them out every once and a while, just not as often as the autolites or champions. The biggest difference though with the Berus and the autolite/champions is that they don't normally break off in the head like the autolite/champions do.

badaceds650

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had luck with beru and Bosch so far. but i have a mixed set, so i just ordered a set of wellman's, which diesel Rx purchased. they are supposed to be 100degrees hotter and have dual coils instead of singles:dunno but who knows I'll try them out and see.

in general I remove my glowplugs every 6 months or less to make sure they don't get stuck, from the extra carbon from running wmo pretty much all the time;Sweet