Who says Motorcraft GP's dont swell?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Bosch and Beru are both made in Germany at the same facility. They do fail I burn them out every once and a while, just not as often as the autolites or champions. The biggest difference though with the Berus and the autolite/champions is that they don't normally break off in the head like the autolite/champions do.

Not quite. The bosch plugs for our engines are made at a plant in pakistan

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
I've had luck with beru and Bosch so far. but i have a mixed set, so i just ordered a set of wellman's, which diesel Rx purchased. they are supposed to be 100degrees hotter and have dual coils instead of singles:dunno but who knows I'll try them out and see.

in general I remove my glowplugs every 6 months or less to make sure they don't get stuck, from the extra carbon from running wmo pretty much all the time;Sweet

Best of luck to you with the Wellman's.. I got a set from Diesel Rx and the first one failed in three days, the next four failed within five weeks. I pulled them out and replaced all with ZD-9's. One ZD-9 failed in eighteen months. Just sayin'...

badaceds650

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best of luck to you with the Wellman's.. I got a set from Diesel Rx and the first one failed in three days, the next four failed within five weeks. I pulled them out and replaced all with ZD-9's. One ZD-9 failed in eighteen months. Just sayin'...
yup I've had zd9's more then once fail in less then 1 month also. moral of the story glow plugs suck the big one -cuss

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Lol No way. You have got to be kidding me.
If you call Bosch they tell you they are made in Germany. Thats odd.

Yup, the set I bought that were junk I looked at those suckers and they had Pakastan stamped right on the plugs and when I contacted Bosch to see if they were going to make a duraterm plug for our engines, they told me that there was only one plug being made for the things at one plant as it was a limited production plug.
Bosch has factories in Germany, France and Pakistan that make plugs that I know of. There may be more.

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive got to say, Ive had less than stellar luck with beru's myself. Had a few burn out in a very short time. Yet the AC Delcos in my last truck were god knows how old and still working:dunno

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glow plugs are a potential failure point in IDIs and perhaps a relative disadvatage to the newer DI engines which generally start pretty well even without them (don't know about the PSD). I think those DieselRx glow plugs are pretty good in the 6.9 application because they are self limiting, Heard good reviews on them in that application but for a 7.3 they are just going to be a run of the mill PTC glow plug that is probably safe to use in an IDI but the quality is a cut below beru and unknown with respect to Bosch. One thing I did before installing the Bosch plugs was to check the resistance values between a brand new beru and a brand new bosch. They were exactly the same between 0.5 and 1.1 ohms ice cold, exact same value on both. I don't know where they were made, I'm going to go look in awhile and see if I can figure it out.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Glow plugs are a potential failure point in IDIs and perhaps a relative disadvatage to the newer DI engines which generally start pretty well even without them (don't know about the PSD). I think those DieselRx glow plugs are pretty good in the 6.9 application because they are self limiting, Heard good reviews on them in that application but for a 7.3 they are just going to be a run of the mill PTC glow plug that is probably safe to use in an IDI but the quality is a cut below beru and unknown with respect to Bosch. One thing I did before installing the Bosch plugs was to check the resistance values between a brand new beru and a brand new bosch. They were exactly the same between 0.5 and 1.1 ohms ice cold, exact same value on both. I don't know where they were made, I'm going to go look in awhile and see if I can figure it out.

My 89 7.3 will start without plugs above 50 degrees, my psd that i sold would start in the summer without them, but neither of these engines had a chance in hell without plugs if it was cold, and my 6.9's there never gonna start without them even if its 100 degrees outsideLOL

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine will start without them as long as it's above about 50 or 60 degrees but it doesn't do so happily. As for the Bosch plugs the one I grabbed had a green stripe, no mention of country of origin. I may be cussing them when they finally die but so far they seem fine.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Part of what needs to be considered here, is by Steve's own admission, that there are unusual cylinder temps and timing issues going on. I think all things being equal, Motorcraft/Beru will outperform other brands. However, in an adverse environment such as what these were subjected to, unusual results may occur.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i've had good luck with bosch n berus. I don't think the glow plug controllers are well suited to bosch though since they heat up so fast. Every brand of glowplugs is different, easy test is hook one up to a battery and see how long it takes to get hot. If you do it right thats your 'best case scenario'.

Took <5 seconds for bosch to get hot, I read about those controllers eating them all the time from overglowing wayyy too long. Running a set in my truck for two years with a pushbutton, started great with 5 seconds of time. Same exact case for my friend who I hooked up.

1500 degrees egt will wreck some stuff, wouldn't be suprised to see damage beyond just the glow plugs. Th egt probe is before the turbo right :eek:LOL? Ken had lowered compression and still cracked his pistons didn't he?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789

Members online