White Smoke After IP Swap

bblaweless

Diesel Kid
Reaction score
Hey there everyone, I am new to the world of diesel and recently bought a 92 f20 with a 7.3 idi na.

3 days into my ownership the injector pump began to leak, so i sourced out another pump from a 93 turbo 7.3
from what i had read, this pump would be just fine for my truck as long as i turned down the fuel setting before installation, which i did right away.

Ever since i installed the new pump, ive got white smoke billowing out at cold starts, and some when idling as well just not as bad.
it doesnt smell like coolant, it smells like raw fuel.

Now what i didnt know was that the guy i got the pump from pre-emptively turned down the fuel setting on the pump for me, then i went ahead and turned it down even more. After i found that out, i turned up the pump just a little bit because i dont have a pyrometer installed yet...waiting for one in the mail.

My question is, could the white smoke be due to under-fuelling from a low fuel setting on the pump? or is something else going on here.

i did not remove the gear housing when replacing the pump, so i cant imagine the timing is off....
any feedback would be much appreciated:)

Cheers
B

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Yep you turned down to much. Who told you a 7.3 pump needed to be turned down for a 6.9 ?

bblaweless

Diesel Kid
Reaction score
my engine is a 7.3 non turbo, but the pump i installed on it is off of a turbo engine from 1993. From what i had read, the factory setting on the turbo pumps were higher than the NA pumps so thats why i went ahead and turned it down. Did not want to push my egts to high. So you believe that if i turn the pump up the smoke will disappear and my power will come back?
B

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could be a bit retarded on the timing. ENGINE OFF mark current location with centre pjnch between ip amd gear cover seam... loosen ip bolts push ip top towards pass fender no more n dime thickness tighten 3 bolts and try that.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where did the pump come from?
Used pump= less than stellar performance, its possible the replacement pump is going.
Turn it back up and time it with a meter.

No one pulls a good well running ip under 100k (no reason to), so chances are you are under fueled,out of time, and possibly running a good or worn out pump.

bblaweless

Diesel Kid
Reaction score
pump came from a truck with 193xxxkm. I will try and turn up the fuel tomorrow, but im hesitant to do so without a pyrometer. Ive never timed a pump before, so im gonna have to take my time with that part.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A worn pump needs advancing...

Read read read read...faqs.... and other timing threads...the info you are looking for are IN THREADS HERE search search search.

One pump timing is different than another too so that makes a difference ...

Advance the timing as suggested but only do one change...dont change timing and fuel...one or other.

Just sayin

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Turning down the pump won't do that. It could cause starting issues though.
As others said, it's the timing. Then adjust the fuel after.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A worn pump needs advancing...

Read read read read...faqs.... and other timing threads...the info you are looking for are IN THREADS HERE search searchp
Just sayin

^^^ this x2
At 193k that pump is toasty' must retime these engine's by/with the ip!
Literally the ip IS the "distributer" on a gasser!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
From what you described here so far I can tell you several problems I see. First off you did not have to turn down the fuel. Secondly that pimp could be shot if it has 193,000 miles on it. Thirdly no two pumps will time the same when you change one from a "good running engine" to another engine. Sadly ALL injection pumps have a wierd timing setup internally. They are not like any small block chevy distributor and can be swapped from engine to engine and retain the same timing. Our engine REQUIRE timed when ever you change pumps. My feelings from what I have read in your posts is you are looking at a retarded timed engine. Also you may have moved some of the glow plug wires and a few cylinders are not seeing power to the glow plugs on cold start up. Roitwarrior in located in BC and has all the timing tools to time your engine. Might contact him about actual location and availability too.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless he or I take a ferry ride Gary its not happening...1 hr ferry ride + 4-5hour drive to time his truck.

Dont mess with turning fuel up as I had said...you already have plenty of unburnt fuel.

Try a small amount of advance to see if that helps.

Gary hit it as e glow plugs could be issue too

bblaweless

Diesel Kid
Reaction score
Yeah sadly I'm not willing to make that trek. Doea anyone know of any reputable shops on the island that are well versed with these engines? I've already contacted Wilson & Proctor and they no longer take in passenger vehicles...
I will try advancing the timing later today and let you know how it goes
Thanks for all the help