"White Lightning" Is Up For Sale

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
The truck sold a few hours ago. I almost cried watching it head north as I headed south. I'll find another and start fixing it up. It's like I'm starting an IDI rescue. This is the second IDI that I hauled home non-running and turned into a running truck (with help from other members on here). I've already started looking for another, but I might try to find a '92-'94 this time since it took 7 years or so to find a '83-'86 4x4 SRW CC with a diesel engine.

On a different subject, I stopped by a car lot on the way home and the car salesman tried to get me to put a down payment on a 2001 Excursion with a 6.8L V10. Anyone know much about them?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huge piece of ****, crappy mileage and the engines are not long milers.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
Huge piece of ****, crappy mileage and the engines are not long milers.

There for a second, I thought you were talking about my truck :eek:, and then I realized that I had asked about the Excursion in the same thread. LOL
The Excursion has 80,000 miles on it. The asking price is decent compared to the rest out there with higher mileage, but that makes me worry a little too. The Excursion is white, so I'd be getting another white Ford 4 door... ;Sweet

wanabebig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what russ said! they ain't that great!.. and sorry to hear bout ur truck again.. i was trying to get dad talked into bumpin his price range up for ur truck but he just wouldn't budge.. sorry to hear that it had to leave you!! hope all goes well man!

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
Those f&%king v10 s*$tbags are ford answer to the "diesel is too loud and smelly" whiners! Total pile. 150k and thats all she wrote, new complete drop in $8k later and your good for another 150k. Exhaust leaks, egr, and spark plugs. What a waste of good metal, they could built a bed for a truck and it would been better used.

punk

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
I agree with punk, and Russ and Wanabebig, stay away from the V10, if anything get the PSD, we have a 01 limited with the PSD and she will tow damn near anything, and gets pretty good gas mileage considerin the 37s and a 6" lift

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
^^ second. or any diesel. Hell a 6.0 is better than a v10, at least most 6.0 just need head gaskets and egr coolers at 150-200k, still cheaper than a whole motor.

I have seen a few in motorhomes that have over that. I think they are just waiting for catastrophic failure before replacement, most motor home chassis are about as fun to work on as getting kicked by a mule.

punk

( I would take the mule, that pain is gone in a day or two, motorhomes just dont leave or come back over and over.)

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
Crappy MPG, not so much low end torque, but offer him a grand and see what he says :sly

The truck sold a few hours ago. I almost cried watching it head north as I headed south. I'll find another and start fixing it up. It's like I'm starting an IDI rescue. This is the second IDI that I hauled home non-running and turned into a running truck (with help from other members on here). I've already started looking for another, but I might try to find a '92-'94 this time since it took 7 years or so to find a '83-'86 4x4 SRW CC with a diesel engine.

On a different subject, I stopped by a car lot on the way home and the car salesman tried to get me to put a down payment on a 2001 Excursion with a 6.8L V10. Anyone know much about them?

rckslash2010

Reaction score
Bend, Oregon? I have a long lost friend that resides in the Bend area. I've been trying to look him up for years now, lost phone number. His last name is Burlison, suppose you don't know him?

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Gas Excursion lose their resale value almost as quickly as they chew fuel. My '02 with the 7.3 gets 15mpg around town and 20-24mpgs on the highway with exhaust and a cheapo glorified adjustable resistor hooked up to the fuel pressure sensor,(the 18k power module). This is better than v6 explorers. Expect 9mpg around town and 12 best on the highway. I have seen gassers in vgc go for $4500 around here, great platform for a swap!!!