Which ZF Trans

ColLonewolf

Reaction score
Which ZF transmissions bolt to the IDI? Will any diesel ZF bolt right up or only one from a 7.3L? Will the ZF-6 bolt to the IDI? What do you use for a clutch if so? Thanks.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
IIRC, all the diesel zf5s from 88' to 97 will interchange between IDIs and obs 7.3 powerstroke, but the superduty trucks have different bell housings. The zf6 will not bolt right up, but if you got deep pockets and high expectations, go for it Lol.

Rock

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which ZF transmissions bolt to the IDI?
The ones that came on the back of IDI's. Or if you look in the tech articles you can find an informative page about modifying a gas 460 ZF to an idi.

Will any diesel ZF bolt right up or only one from a 7.3L?
Not sure i understand what you are asking. The 6.9 and 7.3 bolt patterns are the same.

Will the ZF-6 bolt to the IDI? What do you use for a clutch if so? Thanks.
This question can be answered by searching the forum. It's been covered several times.

ConstantVigilance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 7.3idi with ZF5, everything worked normal.

Blew the 7.3 and installed a 6.9 idi. Ran that for maybe a year or so. It never shifted the same: couldn't downshift to 2nd gear unless i was going very slow. Reverse was even more difficult to engage.

Same clutch and such.

then the ZF5 suffered a catastrophic failure. I found another ZF5 that was sitting behind a 6.9idi. I installed it and it shifted great. Down shifted great and reverse is way smoother.

I have no idea why - all i know is that when the years matched closer, things worked better. :dunno

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC, all the diesel zf5s from 88' to 97 will interchange between IDIs and obs 7.3 powerstroke, but the superduty trucks have different bell housings. The zf6 will not bolt right up, but if you got deep pockets and high expectations, go for it Lol.

Rock
Rock you sure about the SD being different? The back end of a 6.9 or 7.3 are all the same . Whcih would mean the trans bellhousing is the same. It would be odd for the SD to be different.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
Rock you sure about the SD being different? The back end of a 6.9 or 7.3 are all the same . Whcih would mean the trans bellhousing is the same. It would be odd for the SD to be different.
It'll bolt up, but the spacer is different.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
Beat me to it!
FWIW, I don't know too much about the super duty trucks, I just remember this topic coming up recently, otherwise I wouldn't have known, since most of my experience is with older trucks.

Rock

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
He wasn't talking about the F Superduty trucks (F450s). He was talking about the 99+ Super Duty line of trucks which were the heavy F250 and the F350 (+). The ZF6 is not a direct bolt on to our IDIs. I don't what all is different. The only real benefit to the ZF6 is that it has a granny first gear. The rest are all similar to the ones in our ZF5s. IIRC, the shifter for a ZF6 even listed the lowest gear as "L", not "1". A ZF5 from behind a 7.3 PSD will work with our IDIs too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zemmeron