Which rotors are OK?

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
Well after tearing apart my brakes to replace a caliper and now the pad I am going to have to replace the rotors as well. I found a helpful thread on that. But what I need to know is what rotors are OK to get. For my limited budget I have to do this myself. So its either the Napa ones Part# NB 4885731 or O'Reilly PN# 6084RGS. They are both within my budget on this. Unless someone knows of a kit to convert them to a different style where you dont have to knock out the studs or something. Thanks.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would go with rock auto - they have a pretty good variety of brand/prices and even their cheap stuff IMHO is likely to be better than Kragen/Autozone level. I check kragen's website, and the only thing it looked like they have in their house brand which I don't trust much.... Same price (roughly) will get you Bendix/AC Delco on Rock Auto, which is at least a brand that has some chance of not being made in China.

Generally Napa is decent quality, but also generally going to pay more. IMHO the bendix/Ac Delco stuff on rockauto is comparable to Napa house brand.

Doesn't really matter all that much though IMHO, you should get a decent lifespan out of even the cheap junk rotors, and chances are good that even expensive one are going to need to be turned at the next pad change, which really woln't involve much less cost/effort than getting a another set of moderate quality rotors. Keep in mind I'd expect to get 25-75k+ miles out of a set of pads, so that quite some time until you have to do them again.

Rock auto also has decent deals on pads.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Napa Premium(I think that's what they call the top of the line parts)
Good quality came with races installed overall I'm happy with them.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be cautious doing that - it's generally recommended to match bearings & races, and even if you get new bearing at the same time you really want to match the manufacturer of the bearing/race.... also don't know if the installed race is from a company that's any good of if it's some cheap chinese stuff they threw in there.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Parts house guy said there Timkin Races
the mid grade rotors I think he said was just Napa brand.

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
I dont have any money to really be replacing everything. I am going to go with the Napa rotors and synthetic grease as suggested. Also my bearings dont have that many miles on them.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, wasn't clear there, I meant I would replace the bearings if using rotors with new races - no need to mess with yours if they are in good shape.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online