The ECM is an ACDelco reman unit:
ACDelco part #88961136
GM part #88961136

The PROM ID is: BPBN 1621 7103

Does this help?

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
Being a reman ECM I'd guess that GM updated the pump/prom early on in the warrenty period. I got a pump off of a '94 like yours the other day. They said it had never had a pump replaced. The pump was a 5067 though so it had been updated early on.

chrisk1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am 99.9999% sure that the code you listed is for the 5068 pump (you have the wrong IP/PROM combo)

I took this from another forum,

"BXRJ is for a 94 3500 auto with a 5521 compatible pump, BXRF BPBN BMSD BPBM BLRL BJAX and BKWJ are the ones I have listed for the 5068 series pump"

Dave Barbieri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am 99.9999% sure that the code you listed is for the 5068 pump (you have the wrong IP/PROM combo)

Thanks Chris! That info is a tremendous help - now I can start looking in the right direction. Any idea what the difference is between the 'regular' pump and the 'HD' pump?

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
The 5068 is said to have a different cam ring along with weak rollers. the cheapest would be to find a prom chip out of a junked truck that maches your pickups configuration and try it. The later model pumps; 5288,5521 have a better track record with reliability.

chrisk1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm with DD on this one....don't change the IP to match the PROM, change the PROM to match the IP...

Dave Barbieri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK. Change of plans - I'll STOP looking for a pump and START looking for a chip. Got it!

Seriously, DD & Chris, I REALLY appreceiate the info. It's saving me a boatload of digging! BTW, Chris, your post came just in time yesterday. I was about to bid on a 'new-but-used' IP on ebay. Nuthin I'd like better than spending all my allowance on something I couldn't use. Thanks. A LOT!

I'll check salvage yards around the Tyler area (where I work) to see what's available. I'll also check with our parts vendor guys to see what one would run me NIB.

Thanks again guys!

Dave Barbieri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW, 88961136 is the old ACDelco pn; the new number is 21689. PRice at the local parts shop is ~ $146 with a $75 core. If I decide to order, it'll take about 2 days to get one. I considered going ahead and replacing the stock chip with a 'performance' version, but that's a SERIOUS chunk of additional $$$. Oh well, stock is good.

edit: My bad - these numbers are for the ECM, NOT the PROM. Sorry about that.

Last edited:

chrisk1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ordered a chip for my truck yesterday from Bill.....what a crew!

Can't wait to see my truck wake up!

Dave -- you might as well just do the truck some justice and pick up Bill's chip and be done with it....that way if the IP is junk you can find a 5521 easier than a 5068...

Dave Barbieri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The performance chip and the turbo-master sound like the way to go. ;Sweet

I talked to one of the Chevy parts guys this afternoon. He was trying to find a BXRJ chip for me. He found a BXRK, but that turned out to be for 15,000# GVW. Definitely one of the HD chips to use with an HD (5068) pump. I'm meeting him at the Chevy house tomorrow morning at 7:30. They kept all their old parts books, and we're going to start digging for the ones that cover the 94/95 model years. He wants to see if it's been superceded. He can't find any info on his 'pooter. He guestimates the cost at $50 - $80.

Ya know, I may just hafta go ahead and get the Turbo-Master thingy. And a boost gauge. And an EGT gauge. And maybe a set of marine injectors..... :D

Dave Barbieri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, just got in from the Chevy dealer. The good news - we found a TON of 1994-applicable PROM's. The bad news - no BXRJ. The chipset part numbers are actually 4 letters followed by 8 numbers. So right now, I've only got part of the puzzle. Most of the chips seem to cost around $85. Pretty attractive, but I'm stumped.

Next step is to 'begin at the beginning'. I'll call Larry the Parts Guy with my VIN and he'll see what chip is SUPPOSED to be in the black box. Depending on what he finds (what part# supercedes what), his next step will be to call GM tech support.

We'll see....

Dave Barbieri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, according to Larry the Parts Guy, the PROM I need to upgrade my truck from the 5068 pump to the 5288-series, is GM part #16244781. There are several in the warehouse; he'll have one by Tuesday morning.

chrisk1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure that the chip is specific to your truck.....gear ratio, trans type, emissions, etc....

If the parts guy used your VIN you should get the right chip if he knew what he was doing...

Dave Barbieri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There were over two dozen applications listed for 94/95! Sheesh!! Looking over Larry's shoulder, it seemed that the listings contained tranny type (manual/4L60E/4L80E) and GVW. I didn't see any info on cruise/other accessories, or gear ratios. I asked Larry about the CC thing; he said it would mention 'No cruise control'; otherwise it didn't matter. I didn't see any such notations, so I guess most current-production EPROMS now carry the capability to be used with or without. Not sure, tho, that's just my interpretation of what I saw and what he said.

BTW, crawled under the truck last night (wet grass/mud = yuch!!) to check the differential tag. Of course, there wasn't one. I'll take a look at the option codes listed inside the glove box this evening and see if I can figure it out. I'm gonna put the rear end up on jacks, so that I can pull the wheels/tires off. I'll clean them up and bring them in to work tomorrow AM so that I can mount some new(er) tires. I've got four Michellin X's with less than 3,000 miles on them sitting in my shop. Perfect!

Because of the rain, most of my time has been spent working in my shop clearing out 'surplus' (crud/clutter/crap). It's supposed to rain for the next 8 days, but at least I can get the ECM and EPROM reinstalled. I'll do the tire/wheel thing, whether it's raining or not. I mean, we're not talking high tech here - it's just 16 lug nuts.