Which Pump? Which Supplier??

Dave Barbieri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Road Trip! (sort of....)

OK, so the past two weeks have been just chock full of ‘learning opportunities’ (read crappy scut-work). Pulled the radiator and both hoses. (BTW: I found that if I jacked up the front of the truck and put jack stands under the frame, there was enuff room to reach in over the front tire and get to the lower hose and the return hose to the surge tank.) The radiator was actually very clean – inside and out. Went ahead and did the ‘foamy bubbles’ cleaning thing and hit it with the pressure washer. While it dried in the sun, I installed a new 190 degree t-stat and gasket, and then put the radiator back in place. New upper and lower hoses, purge line and clamps finished up the job. Refilled the radiator with a 50/50 mix of Peak antifreeze and distilled water, fired it up and bled the air out of the system.

OK, it’s running and leak free, so I figured it was time for a test drive. Now, I’ve been driving a 1985 F250 with a 6.9L NA diesel and a 4 spd. The Chevy is longer, heavier, has a turbo and an automatic tranny. Man, can you say ‘learning curve’?? I pulled out of the yard and headed down the country road that leads into town. The first thing I noticed is the BIG difference in acceleration. YOWZA!! :Thumbs Up I mean, I’m trying to be kinda gentle and let this thing get used to working again after a four-year nap, but DANG(!) this sucker will set you back in the seat!! I have a VDO boost gauge installed (0 – 15 psi), and even under moderate acceleration, I can see the needle swing past 8psi. However, after the tranny shifts into 2nd, the boost drops to around 2psi, and the acceleration rate slows down. Shifting is smooth and firm, and there’s no flare during the gear change. Man, I’m liking this auto stuff – I could really get used to driving one of these! The engine rumble never gets really loud, just a pleasant reminder that there’s a healthy engine under the hood.

OK, so Day 1 was several trips up and down the road to see how things worked. I figured I stay close to home; that way if anything crapped out, I could walk back home before dark. Day 2, I drove it to work (70 mile round trip). Notice that on the open road, the throttle is pretty sensitive. Kinda hard to hold a steady speed above 45mph. It seems to either want to accelerate or idle. Engaging cruise control makes the problem worse – very bad surging. Ok, so I drive to work feathering the throttle. Yeah, it’s kind of a pain, but the acceleration part is REALLY KEWL! Back home that night, I do some reading up on the surging thing. The folks at Heath have a ‘quick and dirty’ test procedure: Try holding the throttle at 2,000rpm. If the engine overshoots and won’t hold steady, suspect a bad fuel solenoid. Well, when I start to push down on the accelerator, my rpms go to redline! :eek: Looks like this IP is shaky, too. Not really a surprise. All three IP’s were used and had ‘issues’. Time to bite the bullet and get a new one. I’ll talk to Mark the Pump Guy and ProMax this week and see what he can do.

Dave Barbieri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the road again...

Yup, got the right pump. To install it, I decided to go ahead and pull the intake manifold back off. Sure makes it easier to reach the line connections and to get the pump in and out. No timing mark on the pump, so I installed it 'level'. I remember reading in another forum that this will get it close enuff to start and run. So, I hooked up the trusty Snap-On Mt2500 ('brick') and decided to try it out. Sure 'nuff, it cranked up and ran. Smooth idle, and best of all, NO SCREAMING ACCELLERATION!! ;Sweet ;Sweet Accelerator response was smooth up and down, no surprises. Man, how cool is THAT! Used the brick to check timing - actual timing was 19; desired was 11. And I was getting a CES light. Code 34 - Injection Timing Stepper Motor Fault. Either the stepper motor wasn't reacting to computer commands, or the IP timing was so far off that it couldn't make up the difference. I noticed that actual timing was varying by several degrees, so I figured I'd try adjusting the pump timing. Shut it down and rotated the pump about 1/8" towards the PS. Fired the motor back up - now actual read 14; desired was supposed to be 10. And there's that CES light again. Another DTC 34. Hmmmm.... Sorta like trying to hit a moving target. Well, OK, at least I'm getting closer. So I decided to adjust a little more. Actually, what I thought was "Hey, let's give this sucker a shove and see what happens." I rotated the IP about 1/4". Fired it up again. This time actual was 9.4 and desired showed 8.5. CLOSE ENUFF! :D According to the brick, my TDC offset is 1.5. I can't do anything about that right now. No GM Tech I, no comm cable. That's a project for next month. Right now, I'm just gonna drive it and ENJOY!!! :thumbsup:

chrisk1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats!

Now get that TDCO set to -1.94 and let 'er rip...

Dave Barbieri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it's been almost two years now. Up until August, this truck was my daily driver. I LOVE the way this thing rides, steers and stops. Thanks to Bill Heath, I've got more power than I can (responsibly) use and the fuel mileage is right around 18mpg. Very cool! ;Sweet ;Sweet

In August, I turned the truck over to one of the high school body shop programs for a complete repaint and bed liner install. My dually bed had literally fallen apart and I had been searching for a replacement bed that was in great shape and cheap. :rolleyes: Right. :rolleyes: I'd been looking for about five months! Finally found a take-off in beautiful condition just down the street! A friend and I swapped the beds out and then I gave it to the HS paint shop. There's a 'before' pic attached below. This was taken last year, before I found the replacement bed. The new bed is dark green, so the truck looked kinda like a Christmas tree. :D

The guys should have it finished by Valentine's Day. I've been going thru withdrawal the last four months, so I can hardly wait to get it back. Man, it'll be like having a new truck! ;p

Attachments

• Truck pix 001.jpg
    Truck pix 001.jpg
    334.9 KB · Views: 4

TurboTahoe

Reaction score
Well, it's been almost two years now. Up until August, this truck was my daily driver. I LOVE the way this thing rides, steers and stops. Thanks to Bill Heath, I've got more power than I can (responsibly) use and the fuel mileage is right around 18mpg. Very cool! ;Sweet ;Sweet

In August, I turned the truck over to one of the high school body shop programs for a complete repaint and bed liner install. My dually bed had literally fallen apart and I had been searching for a replacement bed that was in great shape and cheap. :rolleyes: Right. :rolleyes: I'd been looking for about five months! Finally found a take-off in beautiful condition just down the street! A friend and I swapped the beds out and then I gave it to the HS paint shop. There's a 'before' pic attached below. This was taken last year, before I found the replacement bed. The new bed is dark green, so the truck looked kinda like a Christmas tree. :D

The guys should have it finished by Valentine's Day. I've been going thru withdrawal the last four months, so I can hardly wait to get it back. Man, it'll be like having a new truck! ;p

Hey Dave,

I'm TurboTahoe from TruckStop website. I saw your posting on the other site about getting your truck repainted by the High School shop guys. I came over here to read your 'how I got this truck' thread. Nice story! Lots of fun to read. Thanks for sharing!

-Rob :)

Dave Barbieri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Dave,

I'm TurboTahoe from TruckStop website. I saw your posting on the other site about getting your truck repainted by the High School shop guys. I came over here to read your 'how I got this truck' thread. Nice story! Lots of fun to read. Thanks for sharing!

-Rob :)
Yeah, as you read thru the saga, you'll see a lot of familiar folks here. The mods are also very low-key and understanding. ;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online