Which gear reduction starter?

ah1988ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My el cheapo autozone starter is starting to turn so slow I can read the numbers on the accesory belts as it cranks the engine over. It some times engages and some times dosent and sometimes it partially engagess and make a horrible gringing soud.... makes me want to cry, the poor ring gear! I have been looking into then and I am a bit confused on which one to buy. I have read about the long nose gear reduction startes the denso..db...mean green ect. Which one is the best? I have read that a certain style tends to break the ears off of the starter?? I do not want one that is going to wear out in a year. I am sure this has been coverd before but I just want to be 100% sure I am getting the right one.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I am happy with my Mitsubishi from NAPA. It is identical to the factory unit that had finally had enough. I had always planned on replacing it with a DB Electrical but I love the Lifetime warranty from NAPA.

drinkypoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a denso and it will start the truck even with seriously marginal batteries. I waited super long to change mine after they were clearly slowing down. I know, stupid. No problems though.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I prefer the Mitsubishi with the bearing on the end of the nose. Its smallish looking. Gear reduction but it spins the engine faster than you can count rpm.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
probably they're all great when new lol.
im running the oem Mitsubishi too (autozone reman with lifetime warranty.)

not sure whats on log truck.i haven't looked yet.

ah1988ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking at the napa plus gear reduction unit, it has a lifetime warranty.
Has anyone had any problems or heard of any issues with them?
I like that DB is cheaper but they only have a 1yr warranty and napa is local if I ever have an issue.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like that DB is cheaper but they only have a 1yr warranty and napa is local if I ever have an issue.

This was my line of thinking, here is the spec sheet that came with my starter. The DB unit has a higher Kw rating.

You must be registered for see images attach

ah1988ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-1345-new-starter-ford-e-f-truck-van-69-73diesel-high-torque-85-9.aspx
Is that the spec sheet for the napa starter that you posted a pic of earlier or of a db unit?
Because pic of the napa one you posted said it was 3kw on the starters sticker and on the db site they say there's is 2.5kw. I am a bit confused I guess. Unless I am looking at the kw thing wrong thinking more is better lol???
https://www.dbelectrical.com/p-5652...esel-starter-f250-f350-1985-1994-hi-tork.aspx

That is the sheet for my NAPA starter. Physically the starter looks identical to this one from DB:

Rooney43

Reaction score
Trying to decide which starter to get and stumbled upon this Denso style starter from rare electrical. I says 4KW. Does this mean it will spin faster and stronger than the 3.6KW mitsu and the 2.5KW denso?

OEM: Denso, Ford
Type: OSGR
Voltage: 12 Volts
kW: 4 kW
Rotation: CW
Teeth/Splines: 13 Teeth/Splines
Pinion/Splines OD: 39.5mm / 1.555in
Mounting Hole 1: Unthreaded
Mounting Hole 2: Unthreaded
New or Remanufactured: New
http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/4/7/3/2/9/2/webimg/581457784_o.jpg

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes is the short answer here. My gear reduction mitsubishi works great for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GaryB

Members online