Which gear oil

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Syn oils are my choice for everything. 80/90 I think is what is called for by the manual if I'm not mistaken just remember to put some limited slip additive in there if you have the LS diff. Your clutch pack will thank you.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
As far as I know is a 4.10 with open gear that is what the owners manual said that little code means, do I still need the limited slip additive?

I guess I'll have order since no one near carries red line nor amsoil. What about valvoline synthetic?

Thank You.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
If you have an open differential then you won't need the additive. I find it a little strange that you have an open diff but whomever ordered the truck either didn't want one or wasn't aware what a Limited Slip brings to the table. Open diff duallies are aren't that common is the reason I mentioned it.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Any synthetic is better than no synthetic, but I'm a big amsoil fan, been using the stuff for about 28 years. You can order it online on their website.

Before you go by the tag on the truck, you might want to pop the cover and see what's in there. Mine is supposed to be an open diff too, but it has the remains of a posi in it ( as in the clutches are shot....I'll get to that some day :rolleyes:

--------Robert

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
As far as I know is a 4.10 with open gear that is what the owners manual said that little code means, do I still need the limited slip additive?

Look on the bottom line of the driver's side door sticker for your axle code then check THIS CHART to determine if you have limited slip.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Look on the bottom line of the driver's side door sticker for your axle code then check THIS CHART to determine if you have limited slip.

That is the same chart I have on My owners manual, mine is axle code 45 = Conventional non-Positraction Differential.

Travis You provably are right bc I have no idea how it is supposed to look like I only know the code on My door.LOL

The valvoline synthetic I can get it locally so maybe I just get that one, I was using Lucas gear oil all this years.

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
I'm using Valvoline synthetic and, I think, Stalube friction addtive all from NAPA since I get the discount through my school district. I changed the dif. oil July '05 right before we went to Montana and we pull the travel trailer several times a year. No problems. I put Shaefer's synthetic blend ATF in my ZF and transfer case.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
EZ,

One way to check is to jack the truck up and place it in neutral then spin one of the tires by hand if the other side rotates in the same direction it's a limited slip or locker, if the tire rotates the opposite direction then it's an open diff.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a better way would be to put it in park, or in gear, and do the same test. An open diff can still spin the other wheel the same way if the drive shaft is turning.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Open differential it is then, I did the turning the wheels and look before but just bc and noticed the other tire would rotate in the opposite direction.

Is the open diff not as good? Why would someone put an inferior differential in a truck that is meant for towing?

Thank You.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Maybe whoever orderd the truck brand new planed on driving around alot of corners and not so much off-roading.

Can't tell for sure but the truck came with a goose neck and it was used now I hope this are easier to rebuild than the limited slip :angel: if needed be some day.

This one sure does a lot of highway and will do even more soon so I hope this diff can handle that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger